• Create Account

Why don't you upvote the OP?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4678

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Consider this a rant - albeit a small one.

Why in the world won't you people upvote a good thread? For instance, Inheritance, Interfaces, and Code duplication is a damn good thread and a damn good question. But no one upvoted the OP? Why? We should be rewarding not only good answers but also good questions. How else will we get good answers without good questions? I've seen this a lot in the past few months. It boggles me. It truly does.

For clarity. When I say OP, I mean the Original Post that started the thread (ie. First post in the thread).

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 27 March 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 682

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

When I have a problem and someone answers to me I simply upvote him. Simply. Whatever he said I appreciate that he takes care to try to help me. And I let the community add more +1 if this is a very good and judicious answer.  smile.png

#3 Tournicoti   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 682

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

(Sorry for  my flood) The rare cases when I down-rated people was when I felt they insult me. (max 5 times ?)  But it's way long time ago.

And honestly, I don't get why people don't upvote people that efficiently help ....

More in the topic, I rarely upvote the OP of a thread except if he/she asks something, describes a problem I have myself.

So quite a subjective way of vote, and I let the community add objectivity.

Edited by Tournicoti, 28 March 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#4 SeraphLance   Members   -  Reputation: 1227

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Honestly, the very thought of even upvoting threads had not occurred to me until I saw this.

#5 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 875

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

I have a personal policy of up-voting helpful replies to threads. The point of this message board is to post questions, so I don't feel the original post needs up-voting. That being said, if the original poster was rude, argumentative, posted SPAM, or if the original post is blatantly off topic, I will down vote it and possibly report it.

#6 BladeOfWraith   Members   -  Reputation: 245

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

This thread is not quite on the mark, but still registered some nostalgia.

m2gms9c.gif

"You can't say no to waffles" - Toxic Hippo

#7 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 16994

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

I up-vote OPs that look particularly well thought-out or interesting, and I've seen some with quite a few votes. Unfortunately one of the problems we'll probably never be able to solve (but damn if we won't keep trying!) is that some topics are missed or don't get the attention they perhaps deserve.

The most recent version of the voting widget along with the addition of a limited number of "participation" points for voting really made a difference on this though: I remember Michael saying that voting increased something like 500% in the weeks after it was introduced.

#8 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5135

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I up-vote OPs that look particularly well thought-out or interesting, and I've seen some with quite a few votes. Unfortunately one of the problems we'll probably never be able to solve (but damn if we won't keep trying!) is that some topics are missed or don't get the attention they perhaps deserve.

The most recent version of the voting widget along with the addition of a limited number of "participation" points for voting really made a difference on this though: I remember Michael saying that voting increased something like 500% in the weeks after it was introduced.

Yeah.. Overall now it's even better.  The participation rate is much much higher than it has ever been, which is awesome.   I will say though that this was the reason that following a thread gives the creator points.. to acknowledge that the thread they started has value.   If you actually hit the "Follow" button the OP will get points.

#9 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4678

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

I will say though that this was the reason that following a thread gives the creator points.. to acknowledge that the thread they started has value. If you actually hit the "Follow" button the OP will get points.

If you unfollow it, do they lose points?

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#10 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7338

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

This is an interesting question and maybe should be moved to Comments/Suggestions/Ideas.  I know that when I upvote it's based on "is this interesting and/or useful info?" but that doesn't necessarily always apply to an OP.  I know that Stack Exchange has a "questions need love too" reminder every now and then, and maybe it's appropriate here too?

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#11 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7970

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I sometimes upvote thread starters, but not in the same way I upvote answers (obviously). If I like the problem the OP is trying to solve and he has put effort in the question, I will upvote it. Sometimes I upvote them for no conscious reason. It depends. I rarely downvote them, though, unless they are blatantly aggressive or something.

That said, I did not see the thread AlphaProgDes is referring to, for the very good reason that I was.. well.. sleeping. So I have an alibi wink.png

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#12 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3082

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Honestly, the very thought of even upvoting threads had not occurred to me until I saw this.

Pretty much this. I do sometimes rarely upvote the thread starter, but for the most part i don't think of it.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#13 JohnnyCode   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

I think that those who help should be rated, not the OP, unless OP modifies his question revealing the solution or such

#14 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2772

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

Because OP is a ...

Oh wait.  Wrong forum.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS