• Create Account

Article Filtering?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4578

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'd like a way to filter articles by what stage of completion they are in.  That's all. :)

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me.

Sponsor:

#2 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4642

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

you mean between peer reviewed and under review?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#3 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4578

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Between draft, awaiting approval, and approved, and also between categories like programming and design, and also I want to sort them by most recently updated. So I can do something like, show only approved design articles sorted by most recently approved, or show all awaiting approval articles sorted by most recent update.

Also an unrelated question - where the heck do you set the category of an article?
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me.

#4 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4642

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Between draft, awaiting approval, and approved, and also between categories like programming and design, and also I want to sort them by most recently updated. So I can do something like, show only approved design articles sorted by most recently approved, or show all awaiting approval articles sorted by most recent update.

I will let Mike answer whether that's doable or not (keep in mind only mods can see all the extra draft and awaiting approval articles)

As for setting the category, you do that on the right-side bar under the publishing date

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#5 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4578

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Uh, what right side bar would that be?
articlescreenshot.png

I used to have a right side bar in the forums that showed new developer journal entries and forum topics, but it went away months ago - I assumed that was a site-wide style change, but maybe not? blink.png

Also, if only mods can see the awaiting approval articles, no wonder anyone is voting on any of them.  Maybe that could be extended to regular users with high reputations?

Edited by sunandshadow, 02 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#6 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4642

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Uh, what right side bar would that be?

In the Edit Article form

Also, if only mods can see the awaiting approval articles, no wonder anyone is voting on any of them.

Well, yea, no one can vote on them until they have passed initial approval. Mike was handling that to test out the system and now I'm taking that role again and will be approving new articles into peer review

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#7 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5143

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Draft - Author, staff, and moderators can see

Awaiting Approval - Author, staff, and moderators can see

Under Review - Everyone can see

Peer Reviewed - Everyone can see

Hrmm.. I'm going to have to force that side column to not drop on the post editor for low resolution browsers.  

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 03 April 2013 - 05:46 AM.

#8 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4578

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

I apologize if I'm being really dumb about this, but I don't have a sidebar in the edit article form either:

articlescreenshot2.png

Authors can't see their own awaiting-approval articles?  That seems odd.  What if they realize they left something out after hitting the publish button?

Edited by sunandshadow, 02 April 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#9 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5143

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

I apologize if I'm being really dumb about this, but I don't have a sidebar in the edit article form either:

Authors can't see their own awaiting-approval articles? That seems odd. What if they realize they left something out after hitting the publish button?

What is your screen resolution? 1024x768?  Right now about 1 in 10 users have 1024x768 or lower as their resolution.   GDNet requires at least 1088 pixels wide to get the full view.

Also my mistake when I wrote that response, authors can always see their own articles.

UPDATE:  I addressed this problem with 1024x768.. you should be able to see the right column now.

Edited by Michael Tanczos, 03 April 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#10 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4578

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Aha, yes the resolution was the problem and I now have a sidebar and was able to fix the category. ^_^

#11 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4642

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

To return to the original topic of the thread - now that we have the AuthorCP backend that does the job of telling mods and staff which articles are Under Review and Awaiting Approval (sorted, no less), can we just excise entirely all Awaiting Approval and Draft articles from the article listings? I know it doesn't effect normal users but for staff and mods at least it would make browsing the articles section much cleaner

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#12 sunandshadow   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4578

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

To return to the original topic of the thread - now that we have the AuthorCP backend that does the job of telling mods and staff which articles are Under Review and Awaiting Approval (sorted, no less), can we just excise entirely all Awaiting Approval and Draft articles from the article listings? I know it doesn't effect normal users but for staff and mods at least it would make browsing the articles section much cleaner

Who are you asking?  I'm fine with whatever solution makes it clear and easy to get the kind of articles we want to look at.  The only possible disadvantage I can think of is that when one version of an article gets published there are sometimes duplicate drafts laying around that should be deleted, and this would be more obvious if there was a way to look at all stages of article in alphabetical order.  But that's not a common case.

Another article question - why do some things have no stage tag?  Example:  http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/game-design/some-game-playing-styles-and-how-games-match-o-r2733  And why can't I comment on this regardless of what stage it's in?

Edited by sunandshadow, 06 April 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#13 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5143

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Who are you asking?  I'm fine with whatever solution makes it clear and easy to get the kind of articles we want to look at.  The only possible disadvantage I can think of is that when one version of an article gets published there are sometimes duplicate drafts laying around that should be deleted, and this would be more obvious if there was a way to look at all stages of article in alphabetical order.  But that's not a common case.

Another article question - why do some things have no stage tag?  Example:  http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/game-design/some-game-playing-styles-and-how-games-match-o-r2733  And why can't I comment on this regardless of what stage it's in?

Those articles pre-date this system.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS