• Create Account

Moving from C++/OpenGL to JS/WebGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Riztro   Members   -  Reputation: 240

0Likes

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Hello all!

I am here today to ask for advice from all you wonderful people on this site. I have been programming in C++ and often use SFML and OpenGL to  make work on little projects and occasionally even make some small games and have been doing so for the past 3 years. Now I have had occasional success with C++ and these API's but I don't see myself making much of a profit from these tools (on my own) as I grow older. This is simply because the time and effort required to make a medium-small scale (profitable) game is too great. Considering that I can get nearly the same performance for these medium-small style games using JS and WebGL, I want to jump over to the web side of things.

Now I have just finished "Web Fundamentals" over on code academy and am going to start the JS course (then hopefully a WebGL tutorial from someone) but I don't know that these courses alone will prepare me for the task of making a few games with JS and WebGL and a nice site to house these games. Now the reason I say this is because the courses on code academy seem more like "Introductory" courses. They also seem to skip the design portion of web site creation.

So I was wondering, does anyone have any recommendations to sites/courses/tutorials/books that will assist me in learning the more "Intermediate" to "Advanced" sections of HTML, CSS, and JS. Also maybe a recommendation for a good WebGL tutorial and Web Site design course?

Thanks,

Brent

Sponsor:

#2 Josh Vega   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1146

1Likes

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Though it is hated by many, W3Schools is where I go for quick references on every web development language or technology. I have seen a few errors and wrong statements, but none of them have been "game-changers" or really all that important.

Also, Tuts+ has a sub-domain of net.tutsplus.com. It is their web development portal. Its not really "tutorials" for people learning web development, but rather articles (and a few tutorials) for advanced developers looking to improve their projects. The downside is that for some of the more "revolutionary" or "this is really epic technology" articles, you do need to be a Tuts+ Premium member which means paying $19/month or $15/month for Monthly or Yearly, respectively.

Lastly, I found this page full of links to other tutorials. I've never used any of them, but I just now looked through them and at their code and they seem well made.

Some favourite quotes:
Spoiler

#3 Riztro   Members   -  Reputation: 240

0Likes

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Though it is hated by many, W3Schools is where I go for quick references on every web development language or technology. I have seen a few errors and wrong statements, but none of them have been "game-changers" or really all that important.

Also, Tuts+ has a sub-domain of net.tutsplus.com. It is their web development portal. Its not really "tutorials" for people learning web development, but rather articles (and a few tutorials) for advanced developers looking to improve their projects. The downside is that for some of the more "revolutionary" or "this is really epic technology" articles, you do need to be a Tuts+ Premium member which means paying $19/month or $15/month for Monthly or Yearly, respectively.

Lastly, I found this page full of links to other tutorials. I've never used any of them, but I just now looked through them and at their code and they seem well made.

Thank you very much! I will check these sites out!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS