• Create Account

SDL, windows and opengl

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 bg3ntl   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 October 2001 - 07:29 PM

well ok after having the issue of glut and opengl cleaned up i have another api question for all you gurus out there - is sdl any good ? the reason i ask is this - the terrain engine im working will now be ported from dx8 to opengl for the rendering. BUT and its a big but, what am i to do for input and sound now ? i cant very well rely on windows msg handling and i really really dont want to have to use dx8''s input - although i like dinput, that makes it platform specific. ive been hearing about sdl - is it any good? is it another glut ? final question - if sdl wasnt about when q3 was written, what did the quake gods use to handle input ? '' That''s a nice little nothing you are almost wearing. ''

Sponsor:

#2 Obelix   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 October 2001 - 07:42 PM

I think SDL has a good reputation but I should have used your DirectInput code if the program only have to run on Windows. As far as I know does all commercial OpenGL games on Windows like Q3 use DirectInput.

#3 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1670

Posted 20 October 2001 - 07:45 PM

SDL does input too, and quite well at that.

To you it''s a Bently, to me it''s a blue car...
"Diddy"
P.Diddy

#4 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 20 October 2001 - 08:01 PM

SDL uses Direct Input in Windows .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#5 Scarab0   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 October 2001 - 09:11 PM

quote:
Original post by Null and Void
SDL uses Direct Input in Windows .

No SDL uses DirectInput in Windows IF AVAILABLE. Otherwise it will use the Win32 API. True, DirectX ships with most versions of Windows, but not all!

(Ok, ok, I know it''s a small detail but I like correctness. )

#6 Null and Void   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1087

Posted 20 October 2001 - 09:28 PM

No problem with corrections . I would have put that, but I didn''t know it would fall back on the Win32 API myself .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

#7 Dactylos   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 October 2001 - 09:44 PM

In my opinion SDL is very good. It''s pretty powerful, and it doesn''t get in your way (neither programming-wise nor performance-wise).

Sorry that I can''t give you any more substantial information, but I''d recommend you to just try it out. Write a little test application and see how you like it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS