It's been a while since I posted. I've mostly been lurking around on the forums, but this problem is really unusual. I've searched around and it seems no one else seems to have ever had this problem.
So here it is:
I'm using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile to load textures into my program. I was working on the art assets, having been just using simplistic placeholder art until I could get a code base content up running. So I updated the character I was working on and fired up the game, but the character was unchanged. From there, I tried everything: renaming, recompiling, replacing. The character never changed.
I know this much:
- The image is being changed, as I can see it in the windows explorer window
- The image I'm modifying is the one being accessed, because when I remove it, D3DXCreateTextureFromFile failes
- It isn't just this one image, it's the same with all my art assets
- It's not a problem of over-writing, because when I 'Save As' a new name, the image is still an old copy of the image
- It's not a problem with layers: the image is a .png
What else could it be? The only problem I can think of is that it's an issue with residual memory in the Managed Pool. Could I not be freeing the textures correctly before I exit the program, with DirectX9 grabbing them when I run my program again a few minutes later? Or is it a known problem with Windows 8? I haven't gotten a chance to fiddle with it on Windows 7 yet, but hopefully I'll get the chance to in a few days.
Thanks in advance for your help!