Re-starting?

Started by
16 comments, last by matrisking 11 years ago

I've been making numerous posts on my blog about not knowing the C++ language very well. And I don't. The problem is, I know it pretty well. I just don't know it correctly. I learned wrong things from a ten-year old book. I've been trying to learn Java (Head First Java, Second Edition), and it's all fine, however I'm wondering: Should I learn Python.

I really want to learn so many things, and I can't decide between starting over with Python or Java (I quite literally mean starting over). I'm starting over so that I can learn programming the correct way, without learning things that aren't true. Should I abandon the java I know and start with Python, or should I continue with Java? I'm torn.

(I'm still working on finishing my projects in C++, however after I finish my current projects I will either be full-time Java or Python)

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement

I think python is great, if you want to learn more about programming, and less about syntax of a language. I think you should continue with c++ though, it's a waste if you leave half way. And those articles, would be nice if you finish them.

Why all this one-or-the-other thinking?

Pick up both and learn them side by side.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

As with Apoch, why one or none? I diverge a bit though, you know C++ already, the only thing you gain by going to a new language is well it is another language. If you are having issues with writing solid code, the language is unlikely to be at fault and you are probably going to just do the same things in the other languages also. I believe you would be better suited asking 'why' what you are writing is incorrect, broken etc than changing languages as some way to "fix" the problem. I learned by being beaten about the head and neck with my keyboard by senior programmers "DON'T DO THAT". If you don't mind constructive criticism, it is the best way to learn any language and more importantly "how to program" beyond the language specifics.

GD should probably add a new forum group: "Codereview" with beginner, to advanced levels for just that sort of posting. I know I would hang out there a fair amount as I also learn by helping to correct things and many folks looking at something often comes up with a really kick ass solution everyone can learn from.

IMO, no need to start over, just correct what you are doing wrong and keep moving forward.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.2 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.2 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.2/

// Excellent 2d physics library Box2D

http://box2d.org/about/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

It's not that I know C++. I really don't know the language. I learned it wrong (Basically, the book I learned it from explained everything wrong and had many, many errors). I want to start over with a new language and learn it correctly.

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

You don't know c++? Not even a little bit? Then how do you explain your breakout game, written in c++?

Let me present you with a different way to look at it.

You say you don't know, or don't have a clear understanding however, by learning Java (in my opinion) it seems you are now able to see the (potential) flaws in what you were doing, pre-Java. This is a GREAT thing! You now have a new insight in order to identify where you have been going wrong. Use that knowledge to push through with C++. You can look at your current projects and identify areas which you might say "What the heck was I trying to do there, it would be much better this way!". You then note these down so that, if you come across a similar problem in a new project, you can avoid tackling it in the old way, and implement a cleaner, more concise solution.

If you do go the way of, "I'll learn a new language instead" then you have this great insight, and whilst you can apply it to correctly learning said language, you will actually be holding yourself back a bit. The best way anyone learns is by making mistakes. It's how we treat these mistakes that makes us more knowledgeable. You can either give-in (I'm not saying you are, it's more of a general statement) or, you reflect and build on how to you are going to correct these.

Keep learning Java, keep learning C++, maybe learn Python (only if you have time, or you might burn yourself out too quickly).

I hope this is of some help,

Stitchs.

It's not that I know C++. I really don't know the language. I learned it wrong (Basically, the book I learned it from explained everything wrong and had many, many errors). I want to start over with a new language and learn it correctly.

You are talking about two separate things. You can't "learn C++" incorrectly in reality, you just were taught to *use* it in an incorrect manner. Using the language "properly" is in effect learning to program. If you move to Python or Java, you are only changing the context of the problem, not removing the fundamental issue. I don't mean to question your abilities but basically if you don't push through and realize the fundamental problems as "usage" instead of knowledge of the language, no one can really help you. Switching languages just gives you new things to learn for a bit but eventually you end up in the same exact place.

The point is that I want to understand a language very deeply. And currently, I really don't want to go through C++ again. I'm learning Java right now. It's not like I'm shunning and completely forgetting C++. I still use it daily for certain problems I want to code. The point is that I'm learning java so that I can learn more about programming, and have a language which I deeply understand.

Thanks for the help :)!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement