• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Role Playing to your hearts content. Synergy between devices. Join the discussion.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArchTroll   Members   -  Reputation: 131

0Likes

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Author is not english native speaker. If you want to help him edit the text, you're welcome to do so.

I have a big idea, that of course have been thought of before, but yet was not implemented in any of actual games.

But before I start, I want to ask a question : What separates games from our lives?

Let this question stay in the air for a while, in meantime I'll tell you about a game that I was bearing for long.

Imagine a world where you can be anyone you want, only limited to logic and prespective of the game world. Sounds trivial and pretty generic, right? We can become anyone we want by just simply picking the game of an interest in the store and living trough the life of the protagonist. But that's his life. Even in RPGs we get limited amount of choise to shape our character. That's why we should look before all the games. Remember tabletop games where you trully could be anyone you want with story, being that you came up with, where people actually used their head to make characters alive. But even games like this exist (Remember NWN for example). These kind of games are classic and cherished by players and game industry. However, they lack one, and only thing - connection to our real live. Everytime we return from adventure, characters are forgotten and brushed aside by problems or work. But we've reached the age where electronic devices are all around us and used on daily basis. So why nobody still did it? Don't want to mix real world and imaginary? Fear of being devoured by another world? I can say one thing - none of these problems bug me. I just have an idea to share.

Setting: Alternative universe in early medieval with it's own technology progression (it's the easiest style for me that I'm acustomed to)

Type: Cross-platform MMO and SP experience united.

Idea: The game will be focused on living the life of your character with various outcomes, and focusing on Role Playing part of the game, with certain possibilities to affect the world.While using your PC/Home console with synergy of mobile devices for character control and other things. (Note: This is almost realized in rewritten minecraft. Funny, but using it as a test areas is pretty convinient. We don't break laws though, and not going to sell altered product.)

Gameplay: Depends on player. I'll divide gameplay functions in 2 big categories : Social and Battle.

Social: Players can interacte with world around them and each other with "Social skills" given to them from start or "Special Skills" that can be obtained in certain ways , be that just a usual chit-chat and moving certain objects or performing special actions and  trading. Basic as that. But that the first thing I want to emphasize upon. Usually we are left with emotions, usual gestures and some actions toward players/objects in MMO/game world. Can we broaden interactivity or not? Should we do it?I want to know what do you think about it. My idea is to divide all the objects in the game into categories, where used actions against them will change it's meaning depending on what object it's used on. 

Example: Using command "Social Skill" "Push" on door will result in opening it from you (not toward you). Using it on a person will make you push that person. Using it on a object, you will attempt to move it (will depend on your STR level), etc. 

So basically every skill will have few arguments: 

1. Object it's used on
  2. Attribute that this skill will use after checking the object's group.

I want to discuss difficulties, pros and cons that it will bring. Will it be efficent? 

That will be first thing I want to talk about. Because there is to much for one time. So this thread will be updated after a while and bring next question for discussion.

Please note that I'm not discussing the universe of the world which is already written and tested in several ages prior to distant future.

F.A.Q.

Related topic: Universe of this game

Edited by ArchTroll, 03 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Norman Barrows   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2204

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

you will probably want to have skills, actions, objects, and "variables that get affected"

actions will most likely be related to skills, possibly with skill levels as a prerequisite for actions, and skill levels applying a bonus or mod to action outcome or chance of success.

objects will be the objects that actions act upon, such as the "door" in your "push door" action.

"variables that get affected" would be things like door_is_open=1;

"push" would be the action in "push door". or perhaps more properly "open door".

but i don't exactly see an "open door" action as being related to social skills. perhaps an "open door for someone" action...   thats a more social action. but i suspect this is just your choice of terminology.

what you describe is similar to the skill systems found in many RPG's, with Traveller probably being one of the first purely skill based systems.

the usual hassles and headaches of MMO and multi-platform (including limited capability platforms) development will of course apply.

i take it that the point of differentiation (what's different/better/cooler) in your title vs all the other "yet another MMOs" is the emphasis on social interactions, and anywhere, anytime, play via any device?

i see no con's,  as long as its not just another "YAMMORPG"  (yet another mmo rpg, like YACC, yet another compiler compiler).

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1988"

rocklandsoftware.net

#3 ArchTroll   Members   -  Reputation: 131

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

you will probably want to have skills, actions, objects, and "variables that get affected"

actions will most likely be related to skills, possibly with skill levels as a prerequisite for actions, and skill levels applying a bonus or mod to action outcome or chance of success.

objects will be the objects that actions act upon, such as the "door" in your "push door" action.

"variables that get affected" would be things like door_is_open=1;

"push" would be the action in "push door". or perhaps more properly "open door".

but i don't exactly see an "open door" action as being related to social skills. perhaps an "open door for someone" action...   thats a more social action. but i suspect this is just your choice of terminology.

what you describe is similar to the skill systems found in many RPG's, with Traveller probably being one of the first purely skill based systems.

the usual hassles and headaches of MMO and multi-platform (including limited capability platforms) development will of course apply.

i take it that the point of differentiation (what's different/better/cooler) in your title vs all the other "yet another MMOs" is the emphasis on social interactions, and anywhere, anytime, play via any device?

i see no con's,  as long as its not just another "YAMMORPG"  (yet another mmo rpg, like YACC, yet another compiler compiler).

I guess I wasn't so clear about all my ideas and as I said before, there is to much to post for one time. Anyway I will deal with all the questions that appeared in order.

First of all about "Social Skills". I was misunderstood, but that's my mistake. "Social skills" are just skill that will be used in Passive stance. I should have talked about this earlier but still - there will be 2 stances : Passive and Agressive. In passive stance you will be given all the social skills and some of agressive skills for your interaction with a world. After thinking for a long time I decided that near 12 Social Skills (let's just call them SS for now) will be enough to have a feeling of great interactivity in the world. They will be placed in their usual spots on keyboard and ofc wil be configurable (still thinking of  a way to conviently place all the actions). But that's just social one, and there will be much more if we're talking about Special Skills or agressive (later about them). So controls won't be complex or anything, it's like using spells in any other game, which will be automated by the time you get acustomed to it.

Secondly, about emphasizing on social aspect. It means I want people to actually play the role they've created for themselves. Basically it's Role Playing raised in absolute. But what will stop players from constantly killing each other or running around doing foolish things, that they will never do in real life. First of all it's permanent death for a character. You will be able to create only one character at a time, and it will be most tedious time consuming process in entire game ( I'll be more specific later). Because you're not just creating an avatar, you're creating a "living" being with it's own story and name. I think the customization process will be pretty hard to make, because of all the options I want to include ( well, actually entire project will costly and pretty hard to do). So basically it will revolve around players living their "another life" in a different world that they can affect. People will shape world around them and make it their own, and players will be the one to move the history of that world ahead.

So about customizing and creating a character, which is one of the important parts of the game. Players will be prompted to take one of the routes which they want to follow (they will be basic for any RPG lover) but with their own twist. You will be able to become absolutely anyone, despite of choosen path (or you can create your own by spending more time on creation). Basically if you started with merchant setup, nobody will say a thing if you want to become a warrior or anyone else. But it won't be easy. As in real life to trully master any job/mastery/position out there you will need to work (unless you want to play as a smelly trum who can die from starvation). To describe it's all better I will give an example of starting with merchant preset.

Merchant preset: Your traits and skills will be optimized to start playing as a merchant. It's a mediocre class that will need ppl to use their head, because they will need to understand the definition of "Supply and purchase" as well as some economic knowledge to run their buissness smoothly. After creating a character you will placed in a city of your choise, where you will be granted a special storage place on local warehouse (or port/trading depot if there is no warehouse). There your starting goods will be stored, they will be randomly generated, on basis of local recources and demand in this territory. You won't be given some really rare items from another continent, so it won't break the economy. After that you can do whatever you want. Go the market and rent a trade booth, joing trade caravan/ship or just buy a mule to sell your goods somewhere else. Or you can just let it stay in the warehouse (then it will be claimed by owners, or diposed of if it starts to rot, if it's food). Then you can use money for anything you want, but as a in real life you must understand the consequences of your choise. Usually MMOs have only "Now" and "Before" for your character. I want to bring "After", so players would start thinking ahead of their action. It will be more medieval like to say - foolish die young. However, let's assume I created a character with a story of merchant who wanted to be a city guard, so he uses all the money on entry fee and accomodation and starts as a trainee on his everyday duty as a guard.

But ofc, not everyone  out there will be able  to spend a lot of time playing. this brings us to the next question - other devices. After you log out, your character will stay present in that world and will be directed by bot to do usual things  such as - sleeping and eating, to maintain energy. You will be able to change the behaviour of your character by simple commands which will differ considering what your character can do and what occupation he has taken. For all the smartphones will be released special free application that will help you to keep track of your character and his well-being, as well as help you to do some chores. That means, for example, for our merchant it will help him to keep trac of all the deals and operate the prices/stock trough accountant book (if he bought it from the shop in game). But if he is a city guard, that means he will see the statistics of chores to do in quarters, wher to go on patrol and so on. So trough some basic commands that player will be able to send to server, he will be able to stay in touch with his character.

About consoles. Main platform for such game will be PC. But consoles can also have their share. The best example is Dust 514 for PS3, that connects PC and PS3 via one universe. I'm still thinking what can be brougt on consoles to connect it to PC and let it affect world as well as PC players will do.

So the difference between any other MMO will be that, players will shape the world around them. Kingdoms will fall, cities will expand, new lands discovered, disasters will happen. My idea is to give a player an ability to write his own story, as we do in real life. And he can be remembered there or not, but either small or big, he will be able to affect the world. I will create a base, and I want to see where it will go, if it ever happens, and will it become a full fledged universe.

Anyway, there still a lot to talk about. But here are some small things to think about. I'm waiting for new pack of questions or just will post more info after some time.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS