• Create Account

Visual Studios 2012 has been released for 8 months now, what are your current opinions about it?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

#21 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7112

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Do they ever update VS releases to fix the ridiculous nonsense or are they just going to wait for the next excuse to release a newer version that uses more resources in order to break more things?

They actually already put out an update.

And the second update will be out very, very soon.

Its not a perfect product, but its doing pretty well for such an old and likely crufty codebase. Some people complain that its old and slow, but there's been a lot of progress made towards solution loading and build speeds, and lots of valuable features added.

Things can always be improved, but don't let reports of performance problems scare you too much. I doubt people are making these reports up, but at the same time if they were common people would either not use visual studio, or would complain about it much more consistently.

Sponsor:

#22 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Do they ever update VS releases to fix the ridiculous nonsense or are they just going to wait for the next excuse to release a newer version that uses more resources in order to break more things?

They actually already put out an update.

And the second update will be out very, very soon.

Any guestimate on how soon is soon? I'm about to wipe out my Windows 7 partition and install Windows 8 with a clean copy of VS 2012, but seeing as I'm not in a particular hurry, I'd prefer to install VS 2012 with SP2 from the start, rather than install VS 2012 and update it very, very soon. But if "very, very soon" is more than a month, then I probably won't wait for it.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#23 _SX_   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

I'm glad to hear 2012 is an improvement (UI speed-wise) over 2010.

A silly question: I heard somewhere that with the Visual C++ 2012 Express edition you can only develop for windows8. Is it true or it's has all the features what the VS2008 Express?

You may be thinking of the original announcement to make the Express version of 2012 only compile for Windows Store ("Metro") programs, but they backed down on that (e.g., see http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/240001856/microsoft-drops-metro-only-approach-for-visual-studio-express-2012.htm ).

Yes, that was it. I'm glad that MS changed it's mind.

#24 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 7112

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Any guestimate on how soon is soon? I'm about to wipe out my Windows 7 partition and install Windows 8 with a clean copy of VS 2012, but seeing as I'm not in a particular hurry, I'd prefer to install VS 2012 with SP2 from the start, rather than install VS 2012 and update it very, very soon. But if "very, very soon" is more than a month, then I probably won't wait for it.

Very, very, very soon. Like now even. You can download the RTM release of Update 2 today, and the IDE will start notifying people who've missed it starting next week.

Edited by Ravyne, 04 April 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#25 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Very, very, very soon. Like now even.

*Squeels like a little girl* (edit: I'm not sure why I said that...) Well, there goes my day of productivity.

Edited by Cornstalks, 06 April 2013 - 09:17 PM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#26 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2956

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Oh hey, he came.

I downloaded 2012 and 2008 from dreamspark. I guess I'll try 2012 and if I hate it then I'll just cling to 2008 until my dying day.

MY DYING DAY!

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#27 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 568

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

Oh hey, he came.

I downloaded 2012 and 2008 from dreamspark. I guess I'll try 2012 and if I hate it then I'll just cling to 2008 until my dying day.

MY DYING DAY!

Please be aware that you can get 2012, 2010, and 2008 for free from Dreamspark, but only if you get to keep your school email with you even after you had graduated from your college/university/higher education.

If you don't get to keep the school email, may your dying day be the day you can no longer use your 2012, 2010, and 2008. >:-)

Edited by tom_mai78101, 07 April 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#28 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'm using the Express edition, which means that I have a fraction of the available features and the ones that I do have are gimped.

With that said, the interface SUCKS! I have an 8-core processor, 16 GB of RAM and an AMD 7870. While this is a moderate to high end system, I have seen very nice GUIs rendered quickly on much lower end systems. Why, in the name of God, did they decide that we all want to take a giant leap back and do a flat, monochrome interface?! angry.png I have a very hard time just trying to find GUI elements on screen. dry.png Windows 3.1 GUI was better than this! 

#29 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1853

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm using the Express edition, which means that I have a fraction of the available features and the ones that I do have are gimped.

With that said, the interface SUCKS! I have an 8-core processor, 16 GB of RAM and an AMD 7870. While this is a moderate to high end system, I have seen very nice GUIs rendered quickly on much lower end systems. Why, in the name of God, did they decide that we all want to take a giant leap back and do a flat, monochrome interface?! angry.png I have a very hard time just trying to find GUI elements on screen. dry.png Windows 3.1 GUI was better than this!

Try the dark theme, if you haven't already. It's much easier on the eyes.

#30 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 882

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

The Express edition cannot use themes, although I was able to find a hack to make it work. Still, the design leaves me with questions. It is reminiscent of old DOS-based text GUIs; flat, monochrome and visually unappealing. I've watched GUIs develop from the old Mac OS 4.1 to OS X along with MSDOS through the current version of Windows. Every OS upgrade brought about some sort of visual upgrade. Then, with no good reason, Visual Studio 2012 and Windows 8 jumped backwards in time by 25 years. Makes no sense at all.

#31 Oberon_Command   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1853

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

The Express edition cannot use themes, although I was able to find a hack to make it work.

Yes, it can. I was able to switch into the dark theme without any hacks.

Go to Tools->Options, then in the drop-down on the left hand side select Environment->General. Then, under the "visual experience" pane, there should be a drop-down labelled "color theme" which lets you switch between "Dark" and "Light."

#32 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2697

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

I really don't like the new UI in 2012, i think im gonna stick with 2010 until ms stop making bad decisions again, like win8 and sooo many other things...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS