• Create Account

Antivirus false positive

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Deortuka   Members   -  Reputation: 493

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I am making a 64-bit game engine. I use http://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/, which is 32-bit, to render my user interfaces. In order to make this work I had to wrap CEF in a separate 32-bit process that runs in the background while the 64-bit engine process is running. The two processes communicate with each other using named shared memory.

Today, a friend of mine agreed to help me test out gameplay in a multiplayer scenario. I made a release build (first time trying engine out in non-debug) for this test and ran it to make sure everything was okay before uploading it for him to download. When I ran it my anti-virus protection was triggered. It was complaining about the 32-bit user interface process. Obviously, this is unacceptable.

The only thing I do that could possibly trigger anti-virus (at least I think) is access named shared memory. The rest of the code simply starts CEF, stops CEF, read input commands from shared memory, and writes a rendered image to shared memory.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a way to prevent anti-virus from false flagging my program?

Sponsor:

#2 wack   Members   -  Reputation: 1348

0Likes

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

It's sad, but the only thing worse than viruses, are antivirus programs.

If your program is Windows only, an option would be to create a COM interface for your programs to communicate through instead. It will probably be slower, though.

#3 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9286

1Likes

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Is there a way to prevent anti-virus from false flagging my program?

Yes. Whitelist the program in your antivirus, report it as a false positive to the antivirus developers and be on your way. Unless you really want to hack your way around this particular antivirus (and run the risk of being flagged by another one).

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS