• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Rastertek Tutorial Conversion

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 SimonMac234   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Hello!

I was re-learning a bit of DirectX after a year off of programming through Rastertek Tutorials, great site!  I'm more interested in learning the Directx 9 versions of things first before digging into DX11 which I know I'll have to know sooner or later!

I was wondering if anyone around here has tried to convert any of the beginning tutorials to DirectX9 or how I would go about doing this conversion. 

I figured since it was a popular site, someone must have tried!

I'm honestly just trying to load up a .OBJ file in a similar manner that the tutorials show, but i'm having trouble getting it to work in DX9.

I was able to get a cube to load with texture and hard-coded data in a struct but once I added the normals data and changed the FVF around, i'm just getting a reddish cube! 

I wanted to make sure I could get it to work with hard data before I load up and try a more complex file.

I'm also looking into learning about shaders, which Rastertek is great at demonstrating but since it's in DX10, it wont help me in the short term. 

Any Ideas or other types of tutorials I can look at to get my simple project to work?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Dawoodoz   Members   -  Reputation: 331

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

"Tutorial 07" in the DirectX SDK gives a clean start with DirectX 11 that I think is simpler and cleaner than DirectX 9 because they removed a lot of odd things like the fixed pipeline. You can still target older hardware from DirectX 11.

My open source DirectX 10/11 graphics engine. https://sites.google.com/site/dawoodoz

"My design pattern is the simplest to understand. Everyone else is just too stupid to understand it."

#3 Amr0   Members   -  Reputation: 1134

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

While neither a tutorial nor an article, I have made a sample for loading obj files in DX9 in C++. I hope it helps.

Edited by Amr0, 24 March 2014 - 11:44 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS