• Create Account

How different is making a game for C# than in Java?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1433

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm teaching myself C#. I come from a Java background(been improving my Java game project for 2 months). I have done basic C++ (up to recursion). I have not done objected-oriented C++.

C# seems to be a mixture of Java and C++. So far I have been introduced to namespaces, structs and classes. 

Conceptually, how much more do I need to learn to make a game in C#? Does C# have a built-in graphics library like Java or do I need to find a library to get the basic framework for a game? 

In Java: It would be "public class Game extends Canvas".

What is C# equivalent of the above code?

Edited by warnexus, 03 April 2013 - 10:01 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Flimflam   Members   -  Reputation: 657

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Your Java background will do extremely well for you when it comes to learning C#. With the exception of the different runtime classes, the language itself will feel almost identical.  With some cursory learning where the new bits and bobs are in the runtime, you should be making games in no time. 

As for graphics libraries... .NET makes extensive use of GDI+ for rendering graphics. It's not really built for rendering graphics quickly, so you're better off using a separate library for this task. XNA is pretty good at getting you going writing games in C#. There is tons of tutorials and sample stuff around the net for XNA if you're interested. 

Edited by Flimflam, 03 April 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#3 moneal2001   Members   -  Reputation: 607

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

you should also check out monogames. Microsoft is not updating or using xna in its newer platforms.  monogames is a cross-platform framework based on xna with support.  

#4 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1433

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Your Java background will do extremely well for you when it comes to learning C#. With the exception of the different runtime classes, the language itself will feel almost identical.  With some cursory learning where the new bits and bobs are in the runtime, you should be making games in no time. 

As for graphics libraries... .NET makes extensive use of GDI+ for rendering graphics. It's not really built for rendering graphics quickly, so you're better off using a separate library for this task. XNA is pretty good at getting you going writing games in C#. There is tons of tutorials and sample stuff around the net for XNA if you're interested. 

This is awesome news!

Thanks I will do research on XNA as well as on another separate graphics library.

#5 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1433

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

you should also check out monogames. Microsoft is not updating or using xna in its newer platforms.  monogames is a cross-platform framework based on xna with support.  

Nice. I will look into Monogames as well. Thanks!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS