• Create Account

Legal issues of starting a Game Studio

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 WulfTheWulf   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'm just wondering what the legal requirements are for creating a Game Studio, other than age majority.

Adding to this I'm also wondering if a Studio or Company is even legally required for creating a game for profit.

Edited by WulfTheWulf, 03 April 2013 - 12:02 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9508

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

1. wondering what the legal requirements are for creating a Game Studio, other than age majority.
2. also wondering if a Studio or Company is even legally required for creating a game for profit

1. Registering with the government and paying taxes. Obeying employment laws.

2. It is not. Several other people have asked this and gotten discussions going on this. You might want to read those other threads.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#3 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6058

0Likes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

For questions like this it might help to specify where you live, different countries have different laws, and since your profile says Location: Nowhere it gets kinda tricky to guess smile.png

I don't know of any country that treats selling games any differently from selling potatoes, the best source of information is usually your local small business office or tax authority.

Even when registration is optional it tends to be beneficial. (Its usually easier to make tax deductions for your expenses if you got a registered business and corporate tax tends to be quite a bit lower than income tax in many countries).
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#4 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2663

0Likes

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

Research the available types of small(ish) company, figure out if they fit your requirements (e.g. do you need limited liability or unequal shares?) and compare initial and ongoing maintenance costs and income tax differences. If you aren't going to have partners, in most places there are provisions for personal businesses, which might or might not be cheaper/simpler than a single partner company. If you need advice about the formal side of your business, you definitely need a consultant; not necessarily a lawyer, many people (tax accountants, public bureaucrats, entrepreneurs/managers, etc.) are familiar with these topics and with actual filing the paperwork for what you finally choose.
Produci, consuma, crepa

#5 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 29477

0Likes

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

As above, it depends on your location. Here in Australia, you'd minimally have to go to the tax website, put in your 'tax file number' (like a SSN), and register a business number for free, which you'll need when doing your tax return forms for the year.

#6 aleator   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

In Germany you'd need to register at least a one-man-company (~25€ registration fee) to sell games or even put a donation button up for donationware.

#7 silkroadgame   Members   -  Reputation: 211

0Likes

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:15 AM

I think legals are different in different countries,in China,it's a complicated process.You should have sufficient funds,a settled office,and so on...

http://www.game-silkroad.com
info_game@silkroadcg.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS