• Create Account

What's you favorite and most hated part of coding?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
49 replies to this topic

#1 Sock5   Members   -  Reputation: 162

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

For me it's coding "editors", be it terrain editors or texture editors, or both(usually).Pretty much everything involving brushes.
My most frustrating would be lighting grr.
How about you?

>removed<

Sponsor:

#2 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3415

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

I love prototyping games, and getting the basic builds up.

I hate polishing off the ui stuff, and making all the buttons. I'm perfectly fine with making things work by pressing a key, and using simple text to represent the state of things(such as health/mana/stamina). But alas not everyone enjoys that...simplicity, it's just boring to position an ui label, write the code to make it say something, position button, write the code to make it do stuff, etc. then you've gatta make sure they all look nice, and flow right. it's just so boring.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#3 Waterlimon   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2442

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

I like nice separate chunks of functionality that i get something out of (graphical results etc.)

I dont like when i have to engineer an overly complex algorithm/data structure with an insane looking data flow that then never works and i spend the next week fixing all the logic errors. And then it seems like it works, and i go add an extra feature, and notice its till broken and all my "fixes" were just replacing functioning code with something that hides some other bug somewhere else in the code.

Or something like that.

o3o

#4 RivieraKid   Members   -  Reputation: 374

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

I like nice separate chunks of functionality that i get something out of (graphical results etc.)

I dont like when i have to engineer an overly complex algorithm/data structure with an insane looking data flow that then never works and i spend the next week fixing all the logic errors. And then it seems like it works, and i go add an extra feature, and notice its till broken and all my "fixes" were just replacing functioning code with something that hides some other bug somewhere else in the code.

Or something like that.

it sounds like you don't like unit testing.

I don't like build authoring and logging.

#5 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3897

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:06 AM

My favorite part of coding is finding that solution to a weird and obscure bug that's been around for a long time.  After already trying to fix it and failing, when you're taking a shower the next day and suddenly, BOOM!  You run to the computer, code it up, golden light shines down from above, a choir sings in the background, and you feel like a programming wizard.  Until the next bug.

I hate three things: documentation, documentation, and documentation.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#6 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3415

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

After already trying to fix it and failing, when you're taking a shower the next day and suddenly, BOOM!

Man, I can't even count the number of times this has happened. I've started to take showers when i'm stuck on a particularly tough problem just for the fact that for w/e reason I can better work out problems in the shower.

Edited by slicer4ever, 04 April 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#7 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3897

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Man, I can't even count the number of times this has happened. I've started to take showers when i'm stuck on a particularly touch problem just for the fact that for w/e reason I can better work out problems in the shower.

I'm pretty sure if I had a water-proof white board in the shower I would already be a billionaire.  :D

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#8 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I love solving problems. I hate writing code.

#9 phantom   Moderators   -  Reputation: 6908

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

My favourite part is when I rock up, change large amounts of code and data flow and make huge cpu/gpu savings.

My least favourite part is when I'm stopped from murdering the people who caused the problem in the first place sad.png
(also, anything related to 'management' type things... *grumbles*)
(but mostly the murder part...)
(biggrin.png)

#10 BGB   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1554

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

I like being able to quickly throw things together and have some sort of immediate feedback.

I don't really like:

writing boilerplate (code that does nothing apart from help glue one thing to another);

having to make changes in a large number of places to add something (such as having to "route" things through a number of unrelated components, *1);

things like array overruns, bad pointers, threads stepping on each others' data, ...;

*1: this is presently an issue for most things which have to cross the client/server divide, which often involves fiddling with code in both the client and server parts of the engine, and also with the code for composing and processing the relevant messages, ...

another annoying issue recently has been me not wanting to require 64-bits, but having an engine with enough data (notably voxel terrain) that it doesn't really fit nicely in a 32-bit process (adding the issues of needing to deal more with memory-use management, in-memory compression, ...).

#11 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

My favorite part is deleting large quantities of code because I found a shorter/better way to do what I needed. My least favorite part is waiting for the compiler.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#12 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8324

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

I quite like writing documentation, though I tend to repeat myself and be overly consistent (this is a bug I'm working on). It helps me focus, and I'll often uncover logical inconsistencies and other design flaws while writing documentation.

My favourite part is when, after trying helplessly to fix a bit of code for hours or days, something "clicks", I write two lines of code, think to myself "ah, yeah" and voilà! it works flawlessly. Best programming feeling ever. For what it's worth, usually the problem stems from a misunderstanding of the assertions made throughout the code.

My least favourite part is probably polishing an application once all the fun hard problems have been solved to my satisfaction. This is why I tend to stick to POC's rather than full-fledged programs, because I stand a better chance of finishing them before I get bored.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#13 blueshogun96   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 859

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

I can't decide what I like best about coding.  Writing the engine from scratch is very exciting, especially when it's cross platform and requires little modification to get it running on multiple OSes and devices.  Another thing I really take much interest in and really enjoy is (get ready to cringe), multi-threading!  I'm not a multithreading god, but I'm getting much better with thread synchronization, management, priorities, mutexes/events, but still haven't grasped semaphores, and I constantly forget what I learned about APCs.

What I absolutely hate is debugging, especially memory corruption related things.  Those tend to be the most annoying of them all.  Other than that, a second would be reading other people's code, especially when it's not commented, unorganized and OOP crazy like a C++ n00b.  Lastly, what I hate about coding is the fact that C# exists.  I'm sorry, but I hate it with a passion.

Shogun.

Follow Shogun3D on the official website: http://shogun3d.net

blogger.png twitter.png tumblr_32.png facebook.png

#14 SlamDrag   Members   -  Reputation: 111

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

I love solving really tough problems on my own. I dislike spending a ton of time on a single problem.

I love writing a long piece of code, then running it and finding out it has no bugs. I hate writing long pieces of code that I can't break up into smaller parts.

I love creating a ton of different parts at the same time. I dislike gluing them all together.

#15 wizardpc   Members   -  Reputation: 282

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

My favorite part of coding is finding that solution to a weird and obscure bug that's been around for a long time.  After already trying to fix it and failing, when you're taking a shower the next day and suddenly, BOOM!  You run to the computer, code it up, golden light shines down from above, a choir sings in the background, and you feel like a programming wizard.  Until the next bug.

This is the truth.  The sad part is the most common fix to these "can't figure why it's not working" involves the smallest tweak in code.  (ie. Forgetting to set the 4th element in a vector to 1 from 0, and wondering why your point light position isn't working in your shader!);

:)

#16 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3991

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

I quite like writing documentation, though I tend to repeat myself and be overly consistent (this is a bug I'm working on). It helps me focus, and I'll often uncover logical inconsistencies and other design flaws while writing documentation.

I agree with this in the sense that explaining what I'm doing often gives me a lot of insight about what I am actually doing heh.

It happened to me a few times already, I have this problem that I cant fix, or this thing that I can't understand, so after a while I fire up Gamedev.net, press the new thread button and try to explain what I'm trying to do, how and where it lies my issue. At the end I somehow understand a lot better everything so I fix the thing by myself without ever posting the thread.

Its like what I'm doing is somewhere in my head and it becomes more clear once I try to explain it with words.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#17 Ectara   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2883

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

I like writing exciting new features, and having something that encompasses a lot of intricate functionality. The faster, the better, but no matter what, on completion, I get that pride.

I dislike writing documentation, writing tests, and writing boilerplate.

In other words, I like doing things, and I don't like the prologue or epilogue.

#18 RivieraKid   Members   -  Reputation: 374

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I can't decide what I like best about coding.  Writing the engine from scratch is very exciting, especially when it's cross platform and requires little modification to get it running on multiple OSes and devices.  Another thing I really take much interest in and really enjoy is (get ready to cringe), multi-threading!  I'm not a multithreading god, but I'm getting much better with thread synchronization, management, priorities, mutexes/events, but still haven't grasped semaphores, and I constantly forget what I learned about APCs.

What I absolutely hate is debugging, especially memory corruption related things.  Those tend to be the most annoying of them all.  Other than that, a second would be reading other people's code, especially when it's not commented, unorganized and OOP crazy like a C++ n00b.  Lastly, what I hate about coding is the fact that C# exists.  I'm sorry, but I hate it with a passion.

Shogun.

you hate debugging memory corruption and C#. Sounds like an oxymoron.

#19 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2063

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

I *love* writing documentation for my code.  Part of my development approach is what some calls it "document-driven development".  It's part of my thought process. I put my thoughts as comments as I write code, and those comments ultimately become the documentation.

I *hate* looking-up documentation.  Since I love writing it, I expect other people to document their code, especially if they expect other people to use it.  I'm currently using Ruby, and the gems are notoriously lacking documentation.  The "Documentation" page looks more like a README than a documentation.  I'm used to MSDN/.Net/Javadoc documentation.  Show me a list of all the classes and all the methods and their description and with some examples how to use them.  Nothing consumes more of my time if I have pull out Google, type-in my question, and browsing through the web for a solution.

Edited by alnite, 08 April 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#20 ysg   Members   -  Reputation: 192

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

For me it's coding "editors", be it terrain editors or texture editors, or both(usually).Pretty much everything involving brushes.
My most frustrating would be lighting grr.
How about you?

Being told to write code to requirements that are vague at best, non-existent at worst (had to do this with a PHP project at a huge organization that will remain anonymous). <--- sucks!

All of the other parts of coding, meh, I either don't care, like it or love it.

Edited by ysg, 08 April 2013 - 03:51 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS