• Create Account

What is real license of FTGL?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 GeniusPooh   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hi..

I need totally free or MIT license Font lib.

I'm Korean so I can use multibyte character.

Everybody using FTGL..

but at source forge it marked as GPL!!

and at their document  It looks like MIT.

What is real license of FTGL.

and Can you recommend me totally free font renderer?

Damn..

after 1-2 years later I must make one and mark it as totally free. 

why we must be suffered so much about font or that kind of things.

Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones

World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

Sponsor:

#2 claesson92   Members   -  Reputation: 402

1Likes

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:01 AM

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the MIT license or the GNU LGPL, at your option."

- FTGL Website

FTGL uses FreeType which is released under a BSD-style license: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/FTL.TXT

Edited by claesson92, 05 April 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#3 GeniusPooh   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the MIT license or the GNU LGPL, at your option."

- FTGL Website

FTGL uses FreeType which is released under a BSD-style license: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/FTL.TXT

what is "the GNU LGPL, at your option.""??

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

#4 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5721

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

"FTGL is free software. You may use it, modify it and redistribute it under the terms of the [/size]MIT license or the [/size]GNU LGPL, at your option."[/size]
- FTGL Website

what is "the [/size]GNU LGPL, at your option.""??[/size]

it means you can pick whichever of the two licenses (MIT or LGPL) you prefer.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#5 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 16741

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Note: GPL and LGPL are two different licenses.

LGPL is perfectly usable for closed-source commercial games as long as you don't modify the library, and as long as you link to it dynamically.
GPL I tend to avoid for commercial software, as it has more limitations that make it less palatable to me for business purposes.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 08 April 2013 - 01:18 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#6 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1475

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yeah, it says you can choose to use either license. Take whichever one you like more.

As for LGPL: it's like GPL but if you link to it dynamically (i.e. link as DLL) it won't affect your source code. If you statically link then it does, just like the GPL. Honestly, since you have the option for the MIT license, go with that and make your life easier.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#7 GeniusPooh   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, it says you can choose to use either license. Take whichever one you like more.

As for LGPL: it's like GPL but if you link to it dynamically (i.e. link as DLL) it won't affect your source code. If you statically link then it does, just like the GPL. Honestly, since you have the option for the MIT license, go with that and make your life easier.

Still confusing .. Is it makeing sense? select very unbenefit license. ??

Who want to choose about using GPL?

If he choose MIT. he can distribute his software as GPL.

I don't understand

Cause I'm Korean? :)?

#8 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6966

2Likes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Trying to put this in simple English:

You may choose either the LGPL or the MIT license. You can choose either one. Some people like the LGPL and some people like the MIT. Which one you prefer depends on what your goals are. Just pick the one that is best for you.

Korean (translated by Google):

당신은 LGPL 또는 MIT 라이센스 중 하나를 선택할 수 있습니다. 하나 하나를 선택할 수 있습니다.LGPL와 MIT 같은 어떤 사람들은 같은 어떤 사람들은. 어떤 원하는 사람은 목표가 무엇인지에 따라 달라집니다. 당신에게 가장 하나를 선택합니다.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#9 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1475

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

...just choose MIT and save yourself the headache. Ask a lawyer if needed.

(OK, that was blunt, but I guess that in his case it'll be probably better in the long term =P)

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#10 Olof Hedman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2619

2Likes

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

The option to use LGPL is probably there mostly for political reasons.

Some people have a strong preference for anything GPL. 

#11 GeniusPooh   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

Okay thanks good peoples

I must use MIT..

and for not confusing others I think about make my own lib under MIT.Hmm.. ( not now :) when I'm so free )

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS