• Create Account

How to overwrite a sound/music file in a game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1384

0Likes

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

What I mean by this: suppose the background music for fighting an enemy is being played. But as soon as the character loses all his lives, the player gets a game over which means a game over music should be playing. I am going to code this in Java.

So in a programming sense, am I better off

1) using the same object reference that plays the background music. Then use the flush method on the object and then close method on the object. Play new gameover music when gameover happens.

OR

2) use the same object reference that plays the background music. Somehow figure out a new way to overwrite the background music and play the gameover music using that same object reference. I think this can save me essentially by reusing the same object instead of creating a new object for the gameover music.

I need advice.

Sponsor:

#2 EarthBanana   Members   -  Reputation: 806

0Likes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm not sure how java works but probably trying to overwrite your first music is going to be just as expensive as creating a new object - usually the object's data takes up the memory (the music file) not the object's methods.. Since you will have to have the new sound file loaded anyways why not give it it's own object.

My suggestion - if java lets you do this which im sure it does.. Load and initialize all of your sound files in to their own objects when the game starts and then just use references to these objects whenever needed - you can store references to these sound file objects in whatever objects use them

For example.. you have a sound of a monster dying (AAUGHGHAH!! or something like that) - you could load the sound file and initialize it at startup and then give the monster object (probably you represent your monster with a class) a reference to that sound and play it whenever it dies

Anyways good luck!

#3 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1384

0Likes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks! I will go with that, EarthBanana!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS