• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

C++ console games tutorials and thread pointers please

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 VaugeCookie   Members   -  Reputation: 303

2Likes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi for the last 3 months i have been learning to program, i have been learning c++, its addictive, im obviously new to all this so i spend most of my time yelling obscenities at my computer then grinning like an idiot when i realise its all because i missed a ";"

i would really like to make a simple 2d game and have seen various "pong", "tick tac toe" and other examples,

i would be greatful if anyone could point me in the direction of some solid tutorial examples or any threads that i may find useful to create any kind of moving game within the console window, and if you want to chuck in any suggestions ( constructive of course ) i would welcome them too, the only programs i have at the moment are visual C++2010 and the windows sdk 7.1, though im not to sure how to use it yet, thanks again for any help / advice you throw my way,   smile.png  

Sponsor:

#2 kaktusas2598   Members   -  Reputation: 863

2Likes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

If you want to create dynamic game in console, minding, that you are using Windows, I recommend you to dig into windows.h header on MSDN. There are functions in it for handling cursor position, console color and etc.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383745%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Behind every great fortune lies a great crime.
Honore de Balzac

#3 Crowseye   Members   -  Reputation: 292

2Likes

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

I know some will probably consider it a waste of time, but writing games like Tetris and Snake on the console, and moving on to small Roguelikes can be a nice exercise for novice programmers IMO.  There's a useful lesson about separating game logic and graphics/input systems that writing such games for the console can help make clear.

Benryves has a tutorial that covers the basics of the console over on his site.  I started there and went on to write my own wrappers for console "graphics" and input.  If you follow kaktusas' link and dig around you can get to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683175(v=vs.85).aspx which gives you the documentation on the functions in wincon.h

If you google something like "Breakout console C++" or "Snake console C++" you can also find a number of examples with code (some better than others, obviously).

Edited by Crowseye, 06 April 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#4 VaugeCookie   Members   -  Reputation: 303

0Likes

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

thank you for this il get on it right away smile.png

#5 BrentChua   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1066

1Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

I made a colorful animated boggle game in console a few years ago. I don't have a readily available executable but i have the source code for it. The code is a bit messy but i made a crude graphics and input system similar to Benryves' tutorial as what Crowseye suggested.

The game has a complete UI interface with buttons and texts and receives input from keyboard and mouse. As an added bonus there's even a mini mp3 player built-in for you to choose or switch songs and play them using fmod.

You'll also need to download fmod for the source to compile; for the music player thing.

Boggle.7z (12.5 MB)

Edited by BrentChua, 08 April 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#6 VaugeCookie   Members   -  Reputation: 303

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

anyone else got anything they can add to this to help me out??

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS