• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

SDL 2.0 status?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 MARS_999   Members   -  Reputation: 1297

0Likes

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

I was just told SDL 2.0 is close to being released?

Is Sam still working on SDL? Last I knew he dropped it, and didn't have time for it anymore?

I quit using SDL after 1.2 as it seemed a waste of time if no one was going to keep the project going and moved to SFML and now that seems like a dead end also....

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1833

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Official release is set for May, yep.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#3 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20933

2Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Why is SFML a dead end? It's already released a very stable developmental version, and although the developer hasn't released an official stable release or updated the tutorials, it's been less than a year. SDL 1.2 was released many years ago (I find dates as early as 2001) and has only had a few minor bug patches since then. SDL 2.0 is maybe close to release, but so is SFML 2.

I'm not saying SDL is bad or that SDL 2.0 won't be released, I'm just questioning the 'SFML seems to be a dead end' statement which I am really confused about. Was there some announcement I missed?

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 08 April 2013 - 02:28 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#4 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

3Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

I just want to point out that SFML 2 is done. The code is done and has been tagged in the repository with 2.0. The new website and all the tutorials are done too. Laurent should be "officially" releasing it this month. The only thing left is a new logo, but he doesn't want to stall too long without one if there isn't an awesome one someone comes up with really soon.

Edit: For those curious, here's the thread where I'm getting all this information from. Here's the 2.0 tag in the repo.

Edited by Cornstalks, 08 April 2013 - 04:51 PM.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#5 MARS_999   Members   -  Reputation: 1297

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Cornstalks! This is good news, I was worried I would never see a SFML 2.0 and would be beta or die off. Now back to it, and I can probably just dump SDL and keep with SFML....

Any ideas if SFML will make it to other platforms, e.g. Linux, OSX, iOs, Android?

#6 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Any ideas if SFML will make it to other platforms, e.g. Linux, OSX, iOs, Android?

That's the plan (though Linux and OS X are already supported; mobile OSes are planned). Currently, SFML does not use OpenGL ES, which would be required before supporting mobile devices. Laurent said he is okay with implementing OpenGL ES 2.0, but wanted to delay it (because it would've pushed back the 2.0 release by a lot). It's marked in the issue tracker and is labeled for a 2.x release, but exactly when it will happen no one really knows.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS