• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

UML Diagrams used to model a websites architecture

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 gretty   Members   -  Reputation: 212

0Likes

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hello

I am attempting to understand what UML models/diagrams can be used to communicate a websites architecture.

The model or models' purpose is to communicate the architecture and functionality of a website to technical people (other software developers and engineers).

Website Features:
- The website is a recipe search engine
- Server side code is Python. Client side uses HTML, CSS, JQuery and AJAX.
- The website will have a Web Crawler/Indexer
- Infinite Scrolling is utilised when viewing search results so I will need to model asynchronous requests (both GET and POST).

The diagrams I am tending towards are Component Diagram (to communicate the architecture) and Sequence Diagram (to communicate the functionality of a HTTP request).

What diagrams have you used in the past to communicate the architecture and functionality of a website to technical people?

Sponsor:

#2 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2937

0Likes

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

I have never done this for a website however I have used UML to communicate class diagrams and how they fit together to technical people. Used the sequence diagrams to present how a function operates internally to the API level. Usually you use flowcharts for this as they are easier to understand and most people don't need to know the implementation details of a function.

I have only ever done this for rich client applications and never a website though.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS