• Create Account

3D Studios File Loader: Source Code

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 tom_mai78101   Members   -  Reputation: 568

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

This is a 3D Studios Max model loader written in Java by Greg Rodgers, who is the author of the JOGL-Utils library for Java.

You can view the source code here.

My thoughts:

This is my first experience with a 3D model file format other than the easier OBJ file, as of April 11, 2013. From what I can tell, the 3DS file structure is hierarchical, meaning that it may require the use of recursion, or similar tactics.

It's brilliantly done. Never in my life have I experienced such novel feelings from the back of my hands. The keyboard, with the keys springing upwards like bunnies. I even managed to fall asleep while following along with the code.

Taking my time slowly, I managed to get black circles under my eyes, but I've never felt the need to take a shower and hop into bed. Especially the part where the programmer must consider the endianness of the binary data in the file. Sooner or later, I will be going onwards, venturing towards integrating animation to my still, dull scenes in my program. Happy little bunnies, mashing away on my keyboard...

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS