• Create Account

Need some suggestion about image processing

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 jenny_wui   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hello, I need some suggestion about image processing to know whether it can be done using C /c++ as I am not familiar with MATLAB. I have attached one image. The arrow in the image show the indented circlular portion. I need to crop out only the portion inside the indented portion. I think there should be a sharp difference in gradient intensity in pixel at the indented portion. Is it possible to extract that portion out by reading the binary image?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13600

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Most likely the answer is Yes, and it is likely very simple to do so, especially if you know the format of the image and its pixels are fixed-width.

However, before anyone can give you a conclusive answer, you should attach whatever image it was that you had planned to attach.

L. Spiro

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#3 jenny_wui   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

I shall work with image which is very similar to the one attached and all the images have very similar topology. But I am a bit confused, do I only need to compare pixel values  to extract that porition out or I need to do some more thing? Thanks.

#4 L. Spiro   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 13600

0Likes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

I don’t know.  There is no image attached.

L. Spiro

It is amazing how often people try to be unique, and yet they are always trying to make others be like them. - L. Spiro 2011
I spent most of my life learning the courage it takes to go out and get what I want. Now that I have it, I am not sure exactly what it is that I want. - L. Spiro 2013
I went to my local Subway once to find some guy yelling at the staff. When someone finally came to take my order and asked, “May I help you?”, I replied, “Yeah, I’ll have one asshole to go.”
L. Spiro Engine: http://lspiroengine.com
L. Spiro Engine Forums: http://lspiroengine.com/forums

#5 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3003

1Likes

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

(Watching this thread closely.)

tumblr_lryyjjhZoo1qbbs2ao1_500.jpg

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#6 jenny_wui   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Sorry, it was my mistake. Please find the image attached. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• im_2.jpg

#7 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3003

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Are you asking about a general solution or a specific solution? If general, how similar are other images of the type? Contrast-based edge-finding here is probably going to return a false positive for that upper ridge. I don't have a huge amount of experience (any) with that kind of technique, but I'd wager that this kind of image is a difficult one. I'm interested to hear from graphics gurus about this.

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#8 redw0lf   Members   -  Reputation: 284

0Likes

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I've done something similar to this for smaller dots in an microscope image. What i've done first is using a graphic programm like gimp or photoshop to change the image to a full greyscale image, then toying around with the contrast, brightness and edge detection filter settings. After I have found a setting or a procedure which suited my needs I tried to recreate the process in a programming language of my choice (it was. Matlab, R, java or python don't really remember) afterwards applying a cluster algorithm in my case dbscan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBSCAN to find the different "holes" in a membrane in my case.

If you do it right you may receive something like an O shaped cluster, where you can caculate the center and the radius to one of the outer pixels, which defines you the circle you may try to find.

That would be the way I would try to solve this problem

do! develop! create! - visit my scripters-corner.net

#9 jenny_wui   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

The images are more or less similar.  I have done some thresholding first. I have attached that picture after thresholding. Now the boundary is more prominent with white outline. Now I would like to to move from the center towards the radius to locate that boundary. I need some suggestion about how I can I locate the boundary by comparing the neighboring pixels. Please provide me some suggestions. It would be good for me if I can do the work using C/ C++. Thanks for your suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails

• pix.jpg

#10 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3003

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

I have a vague notion that if you could estimate the center point then sample the total value of increasingly larger circles then you could find the ring when the contrast changes. I've never studied computer vision, though, and I can see a lot of potential problems with that method. What are these pictures of, by the way?

#11 jenny_wui   Members   -  Reputation: 196

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

These are pictures of coronary artery.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS