• Create Account

Best Language to use in the Unity Engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 WulfTheWulf   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I decided to choose my Engine before choosing the Language, that way I would learn the best Language for the type of game I'm working on, in this case, I'm working on a town-like game that's supposed to have many players in it at one time, possibly up to 50, Also I need to be able to make Dynamic AI. So I'm just wondering which of the 3 Unity-Compatible Languages is the best to learn for my game? Boo, C#, or JavaScript?

Sponsor:

#2 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5770

1Likes

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

I decided to choose my Engine before choosing the Language, that way I would learn the best Language for the type of game I'm working on, in this case, I'm working on a town-like game that's supposed to have many players in it at one time, possibly up to 50, Also I need to be able to make Dynamic AI. So I'm just wondering which of the 3 Unity-Compatible Languages is the best to learn for my game? Boo, C#, or JavaScript?

It doesn't matter, also: strictly speaking its not JavaScript, its UnityScript (its based on JavaScript but there are a few differences).

All 3 languages get compiled to MSIL and then to native code by mono at runtime so performance should be reasonably similar(it is possible that mono does a better job at generating optimized MSIL code from one language or another but the engine really does most of the heavy lifting anyway), all 3 languages have full access to the engine and equal access to things like the .Net framework.

Personally i'd recommend going with C# or Boo since those are nice to know even if you don't use Unity.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#3 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17235

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:28 AM

Other than the vague idea that it's similar to Python I don't really know anything about Boo, so I can't comment on it.

Choosing between C# and UnityScript -- noting the correction Simon already made, that it's similar but not identical to JavaScript -- I would personally prefer C# as a language and think it probably has more applications outside of Unity, but... JavaScript may be a better choice for Unity development; it's far more commonly used, there are many more examples to be found using it, and most of the user-created tutorials you'll find will use it.

You won't be strongly disadvantaged using any language however, so choose the language you personally prefer. smile.png

#4 kburkhart84   Members   -  Reputation: 1567

1Likes

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

It appears to me that the Unity team is beginning to default to C# over UnityScript.  This isn't the only thing I've seen, but for example the example project in the new learning section uses C# in the videos.  Sure, below the videos you can see the code in all 3 languages like the rest of the documentation, but the videos were done with C#.

I myself agree with the above posters that C# would be the better choice overall.  Like they said, as far as Unity goes there is no "real" difference between the three, but C# is more directly usable outside of Unity, and as far as I know the other 2 are not.  For example, I have seen that Unityscript has some things that Javascript does not have, and that could confuse you should you try using your newfound unityscript skills elsewhere.  Boo supposedly has some differences from Python too, though I'm not sure what they are.  But C# is pretty much the same.  The only difference(which is different in any case anyway, even with other game engines/APIs) is that you won't have access to Unity specific things when using C# outside of Unity.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS