• Create Account

999 things I've learned from past life (aka 999 things I miss)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 irreversible   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1355

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:07 AM

A list about little stuff that ain't around anymore, because life has moved on. We all have them.

I'll start. In no particular order:

1. progress bars (esp. while loading/installing/restoring the OS) are awesome, because they indicate the computer hasn't hung

2. simple yet challenging shoot-em-ups with solid gameplay and low poly worlds work surprisingly well. And they can run on integrated cards or, uhoh, in software.

3. life before smart phones was scarier, but so much more fun

4. HDD access lights are really useful, because they show when the OS has finished loading or is under a heavy disk load (why, hello thar, ultrabooks with SSD-s!)

5. there once used to be a time when news used to have actual substance and I felt like my opinion used to count

6. I thought (with some pride!) my generation used to be the rebellious one

Sponsor:

#2 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3906

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

irreversible, on 13 Apr 2013 - 07:11, said:
A list about little stuff that ain't around anymore, because life has moved on. We all have them.

I'll start. In no particular order:

1. progress bars (esp. while loading/installing/restoring the OS) are awesome, because they indicate the computer hasn't hung
2. simple yet challenging shoot-em-ups with solid gameplay and low poly worlds work surprisingly well. And they can run on integrated cards or, uhoh, in software.
3. life before smart phones was scarier, but so much more fun
4. HDD access lights are really useful, because they show when the OS has finished loading or is under a heavy disk load (why, hello thar, ultrabooks with SSD-s!)
5. there once used to be a time when news used to have actual substance and I felt like my opinion used to count
6. I thought (with some pride!) my generation used to be the rebellious one

Everyone always remembers the "good old days" but tend to forget that life still sucked then, as it does now. It's easy to think of the things in the past as being "better", but the reality is that it was just the same crap, served on a slightly different plate.

Sorry for kindof derailing this thread, but I just hate when people like to bring up the past like we were in some type of utopia, personally, I don't miss any of it.

also, #1, 2(not as much), 4, and 5 are all still around, or at least they are for me.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#3 irreversible   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1355

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Shush and just play along.

#4 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2698

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Oddly enough, i miss the late 80's computer era, the exciting feeling when playing with computer at that time was special, although i don't miss their processing power rolleyes.gif

#5 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 509

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'll just say this.

1. Technologically we are improving.

2. Humanity wise we are not.

It's like being a spaceship in a space without reverse thruster. We gain speed but no way of slowing down.

And I missed the 80s. If there is a graph, I think we finally reach a balance there technology and humanity. Like a crossing between two line. Now the technology improves, but humanity isn't. 

Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

#6 Matias Goldberg   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3470

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:21 AM

I'm waiting for the other 993 tips

#7 irreversible   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1355

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

The implication would be for everyone to continue the list.

#8 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 19665

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

9. Remember how much "funner" it was to find the person you were supposed to pick up in a car, back when we didn't have cell phones?

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#9 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5379

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS