• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Issue with Visual Studio 2012 Graphics Debuging

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 skobalczyk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I've created a simple project to play with DirectX shaders. It's written in C# using SlimDX wrappers and runs as Windows Forms app. Pipeline is setup using DirectX 10 with HLSL shaders compiled from code. I was trying to test shader debugging and capture and all windows look fine. However when I run debug on vertex or pixel shaders it doesn't show the current variable and constant buffer values (I assume it should based on this walkthrough http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh972447.aspx).

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this?

Sponsor:

#2 collie   Members   -  Reputation: 169

1Likes

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

If your seeing a variable show as a NaN double check that it's really is being *used* within the shader.

If your seeing a variable show as 0.000000000 check that it's going to be accessed within your shader, i.e. it may be in an 'if' that won't be entered?

The compiler could be optimizing those variables out.  Assuming this is the issue you've described?

#3 skobalczyk   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

'm not sure if this is the case because all variables are constants are zeroed. I would expect that values inputs used in calculations are shown. I compile the shader with Debug and SkipOptimizations flags. Please see the screenshot below:

VS_GFX_Debug_issue1.png?psid=1

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS