Keyboard layout setup (windows 7)

Started by
4 comments, last by Sik_the_hedgehog 11 years ago

Whenever i press grave (~) or quote characters (" & ') there is an input pause/lag (to call it that) like it is waiting for some other key, and it is going on my nerves that i will explode and smash it with mace from anger. I tried googling but cannot find concrete answer how to setup keyboard layout to be "normal", like when i press some key it should print immediately not making stupid pause, so i posted here in hope someone will help me with this problem.

Today i was typing some code in VS 2010, and after some time i don't know which combination of keys i pressed (i was accidently activated some language shortcut maybie) and now whenever i press '#' it prints pound symbol. Now i have to copy that character from other files so that i can use it.

I have exacly like this keyboard layout and i want it to print the exactly the same characters that are drawn on keys as i press it. Is it possible? Please help.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisement

Looks like you switched your keyboard layout to English UK if you get £ instead of #. You can change that in the control panel. (I haven't got Win7, I have XP, and it is hidden away in Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Text services and input languages -> Details... not in the Keyboard options, lulz)

Dunno about your quotes and your grave problem.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

I know where the options are, but i don't know which "english" to choose for "normal" input, or i must install additional?

Thank you so far.

That keyboard layout looks like English US to me.

EDIT: And the wiki page you linked to says

File:KB United States-NoAltGr.svg ;)
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

I have removed all active languages in the list, set "english US" to be default and it appears to work normal so far. Thank you.

Also make sure to disable the shortcut to switch layouts just in case... If I recall correctly it's really easy to type by accident (I think it was alt+shift?). I guess you'll stick to only that layout, but I'm posting this just in case somebody still wants several layouts for whatever reason (and I think this applies to IME too).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement