• Create Account

Getting Started with OpenGL

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil123   Members   -  Reputation: 572

0Likes

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

I'm looking to purchase a book that will help me learn OpenGL (with C++).  I've looked into a few but there seem to be some mixed opinions about said books, so here I am - asking for advice.

This book shouldn't assume I know everything there is to know about 3D math, and should be a "learning book" instead of a "reference book."  And before someone suggests a website (which is fine if it's a great resource), the reason I'm looking for a book is simply a learning preference.

If this is the entirely wrong approach, then feel free to steer me in the right direction.

Sponsor:

#2 sgt_barnes   Members   -  Reputation: 579

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

There is nothing wrong with learning OpenGL from a book, as long as you frequently fire up your development environment to do your own experiments, IMHO.

Based on my own, personal experience, I would suggest the "OpenGL SuperBible", which is more of a "learning book" than a "reference book". I used the 5th edition when I needed to move from the old-day fixed function pipeline to modern, more GPU-friendly OpenGL. I already had some background knowledge on 3D math, however, so your mileage may vary...

Another book that looks very promising is the brand new 8th edition of the "OpenGL Programming Guide", which arrived at my place just yesterday. I haven't looked too deep into it yet, but it, too, is rather a tutorial rather than a reference, so you might give it a try, also!

#3 Phil123   Members   -  Reputation: 572

0Likes

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, I glanced through the OpenGL Programming Guide and it seems pretty solid.  (Though I would hope the header files found in the sample code are easy to get/download).  I've also been recommended the OpenGL Orange book, and the OpenGL Blue book, which I might start with as it's online and free.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

#4 hatfarm   Members   -  Reputation: 224

0Likes

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

I don't know of a great book.  I did find some really good tutorials that explain everything, in my opinion, really well.  Though, I did have matrix/vector math pretty well in hand before I followed the tutorials, I still think he does a good job of explaining the math.  Anyway, give the first few tutorials a read.  Granted, he's talking about using Linux, but it's not that hard to make the move to Windows.

http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/

I just started learning OpenGL myself and this was the best resource I found.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS