• Create Account

What about updating old articles?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6989

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

For example, this article is linked across the web when searching soft 2D dynamic shadows. It's got some good content, and it's a shame to see it in its maimed/derelict state. The whole push to write new articles is great, but what about updating old articles that are still worthy?
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Sponsor:

#2 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1665

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

I agree there were / are some very good articals on the old Gamedev.  Some of which I've found it difficult to track down.  In particular there was an article about generating a procedural spinning galaxy and also there was a whole series on scrolling tile based games.   I know there is a big push to have every body interacting in the "comunity" but, the first thing that attracted me to Gamedev were the quality articals that were published and I was visiting the site and generating traffic for several years before even making and account.

#3 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18577

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:53 AM

We had a project underway to fix the formatting of all of the older articles, but after updating over 100 articles over a few months and barely making a dent in the archives it was put aside as too much effort -- we are however happy to fix the formatting of any individual article as they're reported on a case-by-case basis, and there should actually be a notice at the top of the articles saying so.

I'll shoot Drew a quick message to check up on that.

For more substantial updates than fixing formatting we may need to try to contact the original authors or alternatively try to find a subject matter expert to write a newer alternative, but if you let us know about any articles that need fixing we'll definitely do our best to see what can be done.

Some of which I've found it difficult to track down.

One of the things we want to do is really improve our searching capabilities and make tags a lot more useful -- unfortunately this will probably take us some time, but it's definitely a priority for us.

#4 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5166

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

There is supposed to be a notice at the top of all the old articles (the ones not submitted under the new peer review system) with a link to email me to fix up any articles that look broken. It went away when we launched the new articles but I told MIke and he brought it back. Now the notice seems to have gone AWOL again so I will let Mike know.

Back when we weren't publishing cause of all the formatting issues I was working to restore all the old articles one at a time. Given the amount of articles and the length of most of them this took up a lot of time. Since I've been transitioning back to active publishing I haven't had the time to work on old articles so I'm simply taking them as they come - whenever someone references an old article that's messed up they email me and I fix it - usually within a day. That's been working well for the past few months, of course we had the notice up so people would know what to do!

Anyways bottom line is if you need to reference an article and can't cause the formatting is wonky, drop me an email or PM

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#5 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5208

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

I actually do like the idea of updating old articles to revamp them.   Almost like a 2.0 version of them.. but, one of the things I am realizing in building this information archive is that we have a lot of areas that we need to fill in with reference material.

What I would like to do is update the Crossbones+ group to represent all members who have become authors and create a new group called "Miners".   The Miners group will essentially "mine" the Internet to help build up a comprehensive game library.   The idea for miners is to go out and ask permission from different people (or ask them to contribute the article themselves) and get the article into the library.  

The reason is this.  Google isn't good enough.  

Take component-entity-systems.. We could certainly try looking up the topic at Google and find a myriad of possibly good/related resources.   But it still takes a while to check out each link to ensure that it is actually useful.   For a given topic I might get 3-4 Stackoverflow links as well.. which is great for reference-type answers for questions people had on CES , but sucks for anything that requires some in-depth explaining and it usually covers a specific problem people had with implementation.   

A miner would look at that topic and go out and start to ask people who have written good articles on the subject to have their article reprinted.   They would then reprint the article, tag it appropriately, and submit it for approval.   We would then do the job of exposing all the closely related articles on the topic.   The goal would be to have as much on the subject as is necessary to cover it in a thorough manner.

At some point we're going to need to create meta articles to do the best job of organizing the topic to get the most bank for your buck.   Something simple like:

Article Title:  Component Entity Systems

Body:

Component Entity Systems are...  (perhaps use wikipedia entry text with proper attribution)

Some overview resources are ..

Link Title 1 - Brief Summary

Link Title 2 - Brief Summary

For implementation of CES try these..

Link Title 3 - Brief Summary

Link Title 4 - Brief Summery

Here are some further external resources on the subject.

I would love to see these type of meta articles be a little more wiki-like though.

#6 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5208

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

There is supposed to be a notice at the top of all the old articles (the ones not submitted under the new peer review system) with a link to email me to fix up any articles that look broken. It went away when we launched the new articles but I told MIke and he brought it back. Now the notice seems to have gone AWOL again so I will let Mike know.

Not AWOL, you asked me to remove it.  =P

#7 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5166

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

True, I asked you to remove the message from the newer articles because I got an email from a reader who had some suggested changes to the article. In the case of old content that would be my job to fix, but in the case of the newer content authors now have the ability to go in and edit things themselves, so I asked you to put in a flag to take that notice off any articles marked "Under Review" or "Peer Reviewed" so people would comment to the authors to make changes. But we still need them over the old articles and I know I went and checked and saw that they were back last time I looked.

P.S. - I'll get to that article Cornstalks linked to at some point today

Edit: Article is now fixed up

Edited by Gaiiden, 16 April 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS