• Create Account

Where do i start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 bustin   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi, im trying to start coding and i have one issue. i've never programmed anything in my life. i mean sure i've helped build pc's and crap like that but i've never actually coded anything where should i start? what should i use? 

Sponsor:

#2 pyxunyann   Members   -  Reputation: 176

2Likes

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Hi Bustin!

You could start choosing a easy programming language (dont hesitate much about this) and looking for some good tutorials.

Personally I recommend you read the following article: http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx. Contains very useful links to start on the programming language that you want.

I hope I have been helpful. Greetings!

#3 0r0d   Members   -  Reputation: 819

1Likes

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Hi, im trying to start coding and i have one issue. i've never programmed anything in my life. i mean sure i've helped build pc's and crap like that but i've never actually coded anything where should i start? what should i use? 

Choose a programming language and buy a good book for beginners.  The book will start you off assuming you know nothing.  By the time you finish the book you should be pretty competent in that language.

Edited by 0r0d, 17 April 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#4 tp9   Members   -  Reputation: 533

0Likes

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

I like Codecademy for a quick intro into programming.

http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

#5 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9267

0Likes

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Chose a programming language and buy a good book for beginners.  The book will start you off assuming you know nothing.  By the time you finish the book you should be pretty competent in that language.

This. Don't just buy a "gold standard" comprehensive book if you are starting from scratch, because you won't understand any of it and will get discouraged. Beginner books exist for a reason - use them (check reviews first, though, and this forum has hundreds of similar threads with very good recommendations for almost any language you can think of).

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#6 tunglxx226   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

I suppose you get a book that teaches you about the programming language and the phylosophy, like object-oriented programming at the same time. I recommend the book Java How to program, 6th edition by H. M. Deitel. Knowing a programming language is a good thing, but knowing how to program properly is a huge step to take, and it'll be way easier for you at early stage :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS