Where do i start?

Started by
4 comments, last by tunglxx226 11 years ago

Hi, im trying to start coding and i have one issue. i've never programmed anything in my life. i mean sure i've helped build pc's and crap like that but i've never actually coded anything where should i start? what should i use?

Advertisement

Hi Bustin!

You could start choosing a easy programming language (dont hesitate much about this) and looking for some good tutorials.

Personally I recommend you read the following article: http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx. Contains very useful links to start on the programming language that you want.

I hope I have been helpful. Greetings!

Hi, im trying to start coding and i have one issue. i've never programmed anything in my life. i mean sure i've helped build pc's and crap like that but i've never actually coded anything where should i start? what should i use?

Choose a programming language and buy a good book for beginners. The book will start you off assuming you know nothing. By the time you finish the book you should be pretty competent in that language.

I like Codecademy for a quick intro into programming.

http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

Chose a programming language and buy a good book for beginners. The book will start you off assuming you know nothing. By the time you finish the book you should be pretty competent in that language.

This. Don't just buy a "gold standard" comprehensive book if you are starting from scratch, because you won't understand any of it and will get discouraged. Beginner books exist for a reason - use them (check reviews first, though, and this forum has hundreds of similar threads with very good recommendations for almost any language you can think of).

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I suppose you get a book that teaches you about the programming language and the phylosophy, like object-oriented programming at the same time. I recommend the book Java How to program, 6th edition by H. M. Deitel. Knowing a programming language is a good thing, but knowing how to program properly is a huge step to take, and it'll be way easier for you at early stage :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement