• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Normal Mapping Upside Down

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I'm calculating my tangents and binormals correctly or if my shader is wrong. Will you please give me some correct vectors for testing.

I'm using DirectX coordinates so the x-axis points right, the y-axis up, and the z-axis into the screen.

If I have a plane with normal 0,0,1 (pointing straight down the positive z-axis) what will the tangent and binormal be ? And also for a plane with normal -1,0,0 (pointing straight down the negative x-axis).

I got the calculations from http://www.rastertek.com/dx11tut20.html in case anyone is interested.

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11735

1Likes

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Tanget/bitangent vectors need to point in the direction that your U and V texture coordinates are increasing, so it depends on how you setup the texture coordinates of your quad vertices.

#3 Endemoniada   Members   -  Reputation: 312

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

I set the binormal to point down U and the tangent to point down V and it's working nicely now. Thank you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS