• Create Account

Side Scrolling Game Engine?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 ekay   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm a programmer with over 6 year experience on web developing and 3 years experience of C++ and decided to develop a game. I know how libraries and frameworks can speed up the work after you passed the learning curve, so I want to grab a game engine, but don't know which!

My project is basicly a side scrolling 2D beat em up, kinda like golden axe and streets of rage, with some RPG elements. Is there a specific engine that could help me? Considering it is not a flat side scrolling (you could move up and down, like golden axe, but still with 2D graphics.

Help :)

PS: I wish it is multiplatform, would prefer something in C++ or Python

Sponsor:

#2 CJ_COIMBRA   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 831

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:01 AM

I've seen good 2D platform games made with Multimedia Fusion (example: http://www.indiedb.com/games/oniken) but I've never used it by myself. You could also go without an engine and use the SFML C++ library. Unity3D is also good because it will save you lots of time to deploy to several platforms, however you will need some workarounds/plugins for a true 2D game.

#3 ekay   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

I already played with klik&play and RPG Maker around 10 years ago, I assume that Multimedia Fusion is something like that, I was wondering to get something more like a programming engine. Thanks for the tips :)

#4 Bogdanas   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

From top of my head:

• Plain OpenGL
  • Plain DirectX (Windows Only)
  • DirectX ToolKit (Windows Only)
  • SFML
  • Allegro 5
  • SDL

I would recommend Allegro 5

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS