• Create Account

Shadow map practices

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 EarthBanana   Members   -  Reputation: 697

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hey - I have been searching around the net for a few weeks off and on about the most common shadow map practices but it's actually kind of hard for me to get a firm grasp on the most common shadow map practices for deferred renderers with many lights (spot, point, direction).

I have working shadows - I have an FBO with an attached depth texture for every light (the FBO is contained in the light object). I was just wondering if this is the most common method (or if it is common at all) and was also wondering about the best techniques for point lights and direction lights. I know the cube map method and 6 spot light method for point lights - I know the method of a large resolution shadow map and far away position for the direction light.

I have read all the methods in gpu gems - its not really that I don't know methods I just wanted to here from people with experience using the different methods what they thought about them.

So - any experienced graphic programmers willing to share their deferred shader / multiple light shadow mapping methods?

Sponsor:

#2 AgentC   Members   -  Reputation: 1116

1Likes

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

If you want a huge amount of shadow casting lights without having to care of increasing video memory, you can reuse shadow maps, or have just one texture per each possible shadow map resolution. First clear the shadow map, render shadow casters, then switch rendertargets and render the light volume. Repeat for each shadow casting light. That's actually just as possible in forward rendering.

Every time you add a boolean member variable, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Manager class, God kills a kitten. Every time you create a Singleton...

Urho3D (engine)  Hessian (C64 game project)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS