• Create Account

Generating cones in a Compute Shader for lighting?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sock5   Members   -  Reputation: 162

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm using deferred shading, with the lighting done on a compute shader, without using a light buffer, just calculating the lights from position and radius, currently only supporting point lights.Is there a way with decent performance to simulate spotlights as well or do I have to go back to rendering them as cones on a light buffer?I can imagine generating lots of cones each frame in the compute shader would be heavy?Does anyone have experience with this type of thing?More and more I get convinced it's not worth it, it's a lot more convenient when you actualy render shapes for the lights, since it's so much more flexible.

>removed<

Sponsor:

#2 belfegor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2723

0Likes

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

In my project (dx9) i use pyramid for both spot and point lights. This way i can easely cull some of the point light "sides" if it is not visible especially when light is casting shadows.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS