• Create Account

Looking for the next step in learning to be a developer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Terito   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

So I am interested in game development, and I just completed my second courses in both C++ and Java.  I'm feeling very much like I know how to create many puzzle pieces, and have many tools at my disposal, but have no clue how to bring that together into a project. I am interested in finding a way to teach myself more, especially with a focus in making games.  I've tried browsing Amazon for a new textbook, but frankly everything seems too easy, or way too advanced.  

I guess essentially what I'm seeking is any suggestions for any intermediate sort of online learning/tutorials/books that you guys would suggest?  Anything is much appreciated as I've been struggling with this for awhile already, and both my professors had no advice.

If it helps gauge where I am, my final project we just turned in for java was as follows:

1) rock paper scissors game

2) lottery game, user picks 6 #'s 1-30, compare with random generated

3) grid of 30 buttons, one of them has X, click on the X

all done with simple GUI's created with swing components

Thank you again, anyone with advice, or even just for reading :)

Edited by Terito, 20 April 2013 - 05:01 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Anathon   Members   -  Reputation: 175

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hi Terito,

Have you started or are you interested in learning something like OpenGL or DirectX? For me personally It felt like I started learning so much more when I took a ready-fire-aim approach to game development reading material from sources such as

NeHe (http://nehe.gamedev.net/).

Opengl-Tutorial (http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/)

I constantly look at idSoftware's open source stuff - https://github.com/id-Software

I guess it all depends upon what environment you thrive in. As for books i have dozens of books and the most valuable of all for me was Game Engine Architecture. Simply because it gave a good overall description of how *almost not really everything* works; some people may disagree but it is what I feel helped me get motivated and learn more and more.

tl;dr: I feel like jumping in the deep end and slowly drowning in information can for somepeople help... or it may not.

#3 Terito   Members   -  Reputation: 106

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I will certainly check out those resources, I've been eyeing that book already as well :) I'm definitely interested in OpenGL and DirectX so tyvm :)

#4 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5756

0Likes

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Try the tutorial linked in my sig.  It was written exactly for this purpose, bridging the gap between simple console apps and more advanced games.  You should be able to use what you learn to be able to make a rather advanced 2D game. 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS