• Create Account

Do you ever get burnt out from coding?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

#1 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

After finishing the 800+ pages tome known as data structures for game programmers, I felt like I needed a break. Whew. Im taking the next two weeks off before delving into allegro. My mind just feels exhausted and tired. Anyone else ever gone through this?  Need a break to refresh the mind before moving ahead?

Sponsor:

#2 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2185

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

Always. I am a hobby programmer and I usually program for only a few months in a row, then a few months of no coding comes.

I would have burnt out from life if I had read a 800 page technical book.....

Did you do any fun programming while reading the book? Or just went through it and did the examples?

#3 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

I did a few fun programs like an inventory system using linked list, but mainly examples. I was interested about learning data structures. but man those concepts were very draining on me lol. Maybe cause its my first time

#4 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 712

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Yep, all the time. I usually stop programming altogether and have a break when I'm like that because I know otherwise I will write bad code if I force myself.

#5 JonathanJ1990   Members   -  Reputation: 167

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

I did a ton when i first started programming but overtime the " programming stamina" increases especially as you grow in knowledge and experience. i even know some senior programmers who burned out but that's usually more like project fatigue   .  it's a lot when you are just absorbing and applying theory but once you adapt a more 'logical "brain and you start to think that way it gets a bt easier in my experience!

#6 3DModelerMan   Members   -  Reputation: 1068

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

At the end of a project I usually get burnt out on that project. From the time when I start a project to the time when I end it I usually get so many ideas for my next game that I can't wait to finish.

#7 blueshogun96   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1096

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

Yup!  Been working on this self-started project for a month now working on it 60 hours a week and every day non stop, got burned out on Saturday and stopped coding for 2 days.  I'm good now.  For how long, I dunno.  It varies so there's no way I can predict how long I can go without stopping.

People tell me that my game looks like it was made in a day.  No, that thing took some work and the implementation was trickier than it sounds.  

Shogun.

Follow Shogun3D on the official website: http://shogun3d.net

blogger.png twitter.png tumblr_32.png facebook.png

"Yo mama so fat, she can't be frustum culled." - yoshi_lol

#8 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9282

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

Always. I am a hobby programmer and I usually program for only a few months in a row, then a few months of no coding comes.

Same here. I've actually just started my "no coding" phase :)

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#9 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2185

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Same here. I've actually just started my "no coding" phase smile.png

I'm in the middle of the no coding phase, and I was in the middle of Lego Technic building phase. I just broke my hand so probably the building Lego with hand and feet phase begins, or the alcoholism phase.

#10 ISDCaptain01   Members   -  Reputation: 1443

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

I'm just afraid of forgetting what I have learned. I don't want to lose all this hard work

#11 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

I'm just afraid of forgetting what I have learned. I don't want to lose all this hard work

You mean forgetting what you practiced. Once you've practiced enough times, you'll actually know it. Then you'll forget it the same way you forgot how to ride a bicycle.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#12 Aliii   Members   -  Reputation: 1448

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

After finishing the 800+ pages tome known as data structures for game programmers, I felt like I needed a break. Whew. Im taking the next two weeks off before delving into allegro. My mind just feels exhausted and tired. Anyone else ever gone through this?  Need a break to refresh the mind before moving ahead?

Yes. I also found out that a few days rest is not sufficient, ...no matter how you spent those few days. I need 2-3 weeks to "recover".

#13 Aurioch   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1304

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

To be honest, I have pretty small "programming stamina". I usually work on my projects for 2-3 weeks whenever I have free time (from 2 to 10 hours each day), but once I get to the problem I cannot figure out how to do (current case: efficient pathfinding and pathfollowing) I stop for 2-3 months without touching anything and don't have a will to continue. >.<

Process repeats each time I turn on my Visual Studio again and figure out the problem that was holding me back.

#14 invutil   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1914

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

I deal with the diswant to continue all the time. My current project has reached 31,450 lines of code. Solved a nasty case of pathfinding bugs today.

#15 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

I barely have enough time to code my hobby project stuff (Java) and at uni we're ""learning"" (yep, double double quotation marks) Delphi which is just plain stupid drag and drop components, jury rig everything and press compile, literally, last year we were all about patterns and classes and stuff, now its just drag, drop and code what is missing on the spot. Linked list implementation on Delphi? No idea, but sure I know how to make some TForms and TBitBttns mashed together!

I hate pascal-like languages with a passion right now. While I did enjoyed what I learnt from Ada, the way we're being taught Delphi right now is... frustrating.

So no, I don't get burnt out from coding since I barely do any coding right now...

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#16 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9282

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

I barely have enough time to code my hobby project stuff (Java) and at uni we're ""learning"" (yep, double double quotation marks) Delphi which is just plain stupid drag and drop components, jury rig everything and press compile, literally, last year we were all about patterns and classes and stuff, now its just drag, drop and code what is missing on the spot. Linked list implementation on Delphi? No idea, but sure I know how to make some TForms and TBitBttns mashed together!

lolwut

You can write linked lists in Delphi if you want, seems like you're focusing too much on the GUI aspect of it. You can drop at a lower level, C or C++ style anytime you want.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

#17 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4766

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

lolwut

You can write linked lists in Delphi if you want, seems like you're focusing too much on the GUI aspect of it. You can drop at a lower level, C or C++ style anytime you want.

I know that you can, that's the point, its a fully featured OO language like any other. I just don't know how. No one in my class knows anything except dragging and dropping stuff around, that's all we're being taught.

Its like 4 steps back from what we've been learning the past courses.

I'm complaining at crappy teaching practices, not the language .

Edited by TheChubu, 10 May 2013 - 08:47 PM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#18 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9282

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

I know that you can, that's the point, its a fully featured OO language like any other. I just don't know how. No one in my class knows anything except dragging and dropping stuff around, that's all we're being taught.

Its like 4 steps back from what we've been learning the past courses.

I'm complaining at crappy teaching practices, not the language .

Oh, I see, that sucks. I mean, it's useful to know how to make user interfaces and a major point of the language is the ability to quickly create them without too much hassle, but only teaching that is kinda dumb..

#19 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3250

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

My mind just feels exhausted and tired. Anyone else ever gone through this? 

Noooo, how could you even think that? rolleyes.gif

#20 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

These kinds of questions come up regularly, and it always seems a little silly to me. Like going to mtbr's forums and asking, "After finishing the 800+ miles of trails known as Park City Utah, I felt like I needed a break. Whew. Im taking the next two weeks off before delving into Moab. My legs just feel exhausted and tired. Anyone else ever gone through this?  Need a break to refresh the legs before moving ahead?"

YES. Do something else for a while!

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS