• Create Account

Game Maker For Free!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robert B Colton   Members   -  Reputation: 197

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

EDE_about_banner.png

ENIGMA, the Extensible Non-Interpreted Game Maker Augmentation, is an open source cross-platform game development environment derived from that of the popular software Game Maker. Its intention is to provide you with a quality game creation tool and a bridge between high- and low-level programming languages. It can be used either through an IDE, namely, its sister project, LateralGM, or through a Command line interface.

64px-Windows.png64px-Linux.png64px-Apple.png

* Completey Free
* Open Source
* Much Faster
* More Powerful
* Community Driven
* Box2D Physics
* GLSL Shader Support

http://enigma-dev.org/
Please check us out!

We usually hang out our IRC channel as well...
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=enigma&uio=d4

Toonshader1.png
PMario0.png
WxENIGMArecent.png
gallery_146184_590_43693.png

Edited by Robert B Colton, 23 April 2013 - 11:03 AM.

Visit http://www.enigma-dev.org for the free and open game creation suite, ENIGMA.

Sponsor:

#2 azonicrider   Members   -  Reputation: 421

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Wheres the catch?

Easiest way to make games, I love LÖVE && My dev blog/project

*Too lazy to renew domain, ignore above links

#3 Robert B Colton   Members   -  Reputation: 197

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

There is none, ENIGMA is compiled directly to C++ using the GCC compiler, and will soon be %100 compatible with Game Maker, as well as implement extended features including GLSL shaders, entirely free and open source. We have really only made this engine for our own use, we don't want any money.
Visit http://www.enigma-dev.org for the free and open game creation suite, ENIGMA.

#4 polyfrag   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1734

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Why use a game maker when you can learn to program? It's just putting restrictions on things you do.

#5 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4680

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Why use a game maker when you can learn to program? It's just putting restrictions on things you do.

Because maybe the point is to make games....? Plus if you've used GM before, you know that you can do programming in it as well. And if this supports GLSL shaders, then there has to be some programming involved in that as well. So, the user is not cut off from programming, and can concentrate on the important parts of the game.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 17113

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

It's kind of an intermediate step for people not (realizing they are) interested in programming, but wanting to make games. 'Maker'-type tools introduce programming softly and sometimes in disguise, you get things up and running quickly, and when creators are ready to burst the constraints of the tools they use, they find they actually know some of the basics of programming already, sometimes without even realizing they were learning it.

When I got into game making, it was with RPG Maker for the Playstation. When that was too limited, I didn't know what else to do, and had nowhere else to go until one day someone casually mentioned that they made a game (a top-down shooter in flash or java) - I literally spun around in my computer chair and demanded more information. laugh.png

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#7 polyfrag   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1734

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

I think most people here already have a code base to work with. Maybe you should advertise yourself on the Game Maker forums.

#8 polyfrag   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1734

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

You know what would be useful? An optimized map editor/compiler, like QuArK, but for large urban environments.

#9 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5143

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

To be fair, we have developers of pretty much *every* level here.. including people who have never touched a line of code before.

#10 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17216

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

I think most people here already have a code base to work with. Maybe you should advertise yourself on the Game Maker forums.

Don't project your own situation onto everyone else -- we have loads of beginners showing up all the time, many of whom have never programmed a line of code in their life and therefore definitely do not already have a code base to work with.  It's also fairly common to see posts from new members who are already experienced programmers but have never written a game and are wondering how to get started, and again these people do not have existing code bases.

The simple truth is that unless it somehow effects the experience players simply do not care how a game was made, and whilst editors like Game Maker can impose limitations they've progressed in leaps and bounds since earlier versions and are now perfectly capable of producing some great quality games such as "Legend of Fae", "Serious Sam: The Random Encounter" (both being Game Maker titles available via Steam), or many other great examples.  Reason #2 in my list of "reasons you aren't a successful indie developer" covers exactly this point, and it's likely a lot more people would actually succeed at making games if they were willing to give these sorts of tools a go and if people didn't constantly talk about them like things meant only for kids!  Programming is great, and like many people I really love it -- but it isn't for everyone, and for many people it just isn't necessary.

If you don't want to use these types of editors that's fine, but there are many people who find them valuable, and Robert is more than welcome to advertise ENIGMA here. 

#11 Chad Smith   Members   -  Reputation: 1041

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

ENIGMA seems very interesting.
Don't know why some people seem to frown at it? Like was mentioned their are quite a bit of successful games that are made with software like this. Not to mention I know their are quite a bit of respected people here (going by their reputation rating, though some are mods) that use software like this to prototype their game ideas. Why spend a couple months programming from scratch a prototype that might end up being not fun at all? Seems like a waste to me when you could use something like this, have a prototype up in half the time, and see where it needs changes. See where it needs changes? Well great because of software like this you can easily implement those changes and not have to worry about refactoring all your code just for a prototype.

I myself would gladly recemend ENIGMA to someone. Even if they are a beginner it provides enough to see if take development sparks their interest. If it does then they'll more than likely look up programming on their own.

#12 tlarkworthy   Members   -  Reputation: 125

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Its open source. That makes it very attractive for extension. Let it solve 75% of your problems quickly and spend the remaining time on domain specific problems. Unfortunately I program in HTML5, but I do generally suck up frameworks to develop as fast as possible. 

#13 hyp3R   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

As a programmer who never programmed a single game before, this seams really fun to start with and get into basics.

Gotta give a shot, thank you! :)

#14 wodinoneeye   Members   -  Reputation: 666

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

When I read the OP header, first question I considered was "do you want to do scripting using some existing game system" - if the point is actually producing a halfway complex game with adaquate visuals, all the components requires are beyond beginners and even many experiences programmers (just too many pieces/aspect  to program from scratch/many libraries).

The game the OP described has specific game mechanics  which in itself WILL likely take programming of alot of logic to cover all of it (and unlikely for some standard set of game maker options to offer as 'checkbox[X}' option).

So anything that cuts out the fiddley common details  and offers flexibility to use a quanity of programmed (scripted/whatever) data/logic EASILY will get that game well along so much faster.

Consider that the player mentioned 4 players linked - that itself, even with all the communications network/protocol stuff handled,  opens ALOT of game implementation complexity that will be voluminous(codewise) in its extent,  just by itself.

--------------------------------------------Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS