• Create Account

Progress Bars

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
27 replies to this topic

#1 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3001

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

Why do people do this?

bluestacks.png

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sponsor:

#2 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2141

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:51 AM

some tips:

1. Not being able to calculate the progress properly

2. Being lazy in determining the time cost of calculations and the programmer just puts the progress bar into some high level code and the progress bar is simply/lazily proportional to the iterator

3. The progress bar was okay on the developer's system

4. Shit download speeds or a bird flew through the datastream

5. Your employer is running some spy programs on your workstation

6. the developers be shitfuk

Edited by szecs, 24 April 2013 - 03:54 AM.

#3 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3886

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

I think it's pretty much #2 most of thr time. For example, i load 10 images into my program, each time an image finishs loading, i update the progress bar. Images 1-9 are tiny 128x128 textures, where image #10 is my huge. 4096x4096 background canvas. It's likely the programmer put little thought into doing any serious analyzing the metrics to make sure the progress bar progresses at an even pace.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#4 siri   Members   -  Reputation: 233

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:21 AM

I think the bigger annoyance is "Estimated time remaining...". It's about as reliable as a blind eye witness.

#5 SymLinked   Members   -  Reputation: 865

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

Like slicer4ever says, it's because the progress bar is calculated by dividing the current item index with the total number of items. If each item consumes the same amount of time, that's fine. But that's usually not the case.

You can make it look better by using a preprocess step or another metric (bytes when downloading, for instance), but most don't.

#6 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3001

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I also really appreciate when I spend x minutes waiting for a progress bar to complete and then it just starts over again.

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#7 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Like slicer4ever says, it's because the progress bar is calculated by dividing the current item index with the total number of items. If each item consumes the same amount of time, that's fine. But that's usually not the case.

You can make it look better by using a preprocess step or another metric (bytes when downloading, for instance), but most don't.

I feel like there was a study somewhere that looked at progress bars and something about it being there and not static was just as useful as it being accurate to most users. I think it's a TCR for Windows Store Apps (edit: Non-static loading screens I mean).

Edited by way2lazy2care, 24 April 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#8 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2107

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Pic-4.png

#9 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8862

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

I also really appreciate when I spend x minutes waiting for a progress bar to complete and then it just starts over again.

Yeah, or like those installers where the progress bar resets at least five times a second for an entire minute, like, you may as well not display anything because that's about as informative.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#10 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3001

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, or like those installers where the progress bar resets at least five times a second for an entire minute, like, you may as well not display anything because that's about as informative.

Yeah. Those ones.

I just wonder about the design process there.

"Let's put a progress bar!"

"Why?"

"Uh..... Shiny?"

#11 szecs   Members   -  Reputation: 2141

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I think the psychology behind making progress bars is quite simple.

Progress bar is the fun, stepping-away coding when you are tired of the important coding. When the progress bar itself would get serious, the fun factor vanishes and you get tired of that too and get back to important coding. And you never get back because it's just a fuckin progress bar and you have a deadline anyway.

Edited by szecs, 24 April 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#12 Xanather   Members   -  Reputation: 708

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

I think the psychology behind making progress bars is quite simple.

Progress bar is the fun, stepping-away coding when you are tired of the important coding. When the progress bar itself would get serious, the fun factor vanishes and you get tired of that too and get back to important coding. And you never get back because it's just a fuckin progress bar and you have a deadline anyway.

hahahaha :)

#13 Amadeus H   Members   -  Reputation: 1180

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Obligatory XKCD:

estimation.png

#14 siri   Members   -  Reputation: 233

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

"Why?"

"Uh..... Shiny?"

I think "Uh... Shiny" explains a lot of modern UI elements. I can't think of much practical use for this other than "Ooohhhhh".

I4LdK.gif

#15 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1798

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

"Why?"

"Uh..... Shiny?"

I think "Uh... Shiny" explains a lot of modern UI elements. I can't think of much practical use for this other than "Ooohhhhh".

I4LdK.gif

Ah, how about to remind the user that their system hasn't completely locked up, and that 'stuff' is still happening and they should be waiting, and NOT hammering on the device and looking for the reset button?

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

#16 siri   Members   -  Reputation: 233

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

Sure. But a lot of the time when stuff freezes, or the window becomes unresponsive, those UI elements keep ticking away.

#17 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4349

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

That circling thing is very popular now, you can see it in all sort of apps and OSes. Wonder why it stuck up so much.

Though it makes feel like things are progressing doesn't it?

Edited by TheChubu, 25 April 2013 - 11:25 AM.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#18 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

I4LdK.gif

I've been watching this for 20 minutes... when is it going to do something? tongue.png

#19 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8862

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I4LdK.gif

I've been watching this for 20 minutes... when is it going to do something? tongue.png

Just keep waiting, it will stop eventually and helpfully inform you that an error occurred.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#20 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1747

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Sure. But a lot of the time when stuff freezes, or the window becomes unresponsive, those UI elements keep ticking away.

Indeed, more often than not when I see that thing it means the process has locked up x_x; It's there just for placebo effect.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS