• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Stumped! Why isn't my application sending packets?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hey there,

I'm trying to create a server-client architecture application, which sends a struct called PLAYER which holds x,y,z as a float, the instance of PLAYER is Player. 

Defined like so

struct PLAYER
{
float x, y, z;
};
PLAYER Player; 

Additional declarations in the header file

#define SERVER_ADDRESS	"127.0.0.1"
#define SERVER_PORT		17000

WSADATA Winsock;
SOCKET Socket;
sockaddr_in RemoteAddress;
int SizeInt;

These structs are available on both server and client applications, I then have this code to setup a socket on the

SERVER application:

void Application::Init_Winsock()
{
	WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2), &Winsock);

if(LOBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2 || HIBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2)	//Check Version
	{
		WSACleanup();	//Cleanup and end if not version 2
		return;
	}

//Create Socket
	Socket = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, IPPROTO_UDP);

//Input Reciever Information
	ZeroMemory(&RemoteAddress, sizeof(RemoteAddress));		//Clear Struct
	RemoteAddress.sin_family = AF_INET;						//Set the Family Address
	RemoteAddress.sin_port = SERVER_PORT;					//Set Port
	bind(Socket, (sockaddr*)&RemoteAddress, sizeof(RemoteAddress));

//Start the recieve thread
	CreateThread(NULL, 0, RecvThread, (void*)this, 0, NULL);
}

Then a static function to receive packets from clients

DWORD WINAPI Application::RecvThread(LPVOID knock)
{
	Application *instance = static_cast<Application *>(knock);
	while(true)
	{
		PLAYER Recv;
		recvfrom(instance->Socket, (char*)&Recv, sizeof(PLAYER), 0, (sockaddr*)&instance->RemoteAddress, &instance->SizeInt);

instance->Player = Recv;
	}
}

That struct is then used like this to move the object

D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matTrans, Player.x, Player.y, Player.z);

CLIENT Application:

There is a similar init_winsock method:

void Application::Init_Winsock()
{
	WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2), &Winsock);

if(LOBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2 || HIBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2)	//Check version
	{
		WSACleanup();	//Cleanup and return false if version is wrong
		return;
	}

//Create Socket

//Input Receiver Information
	ZeroMemory(&RemoteAddress, sizeof(RemoteAddress));				//Clear Struct
	RemoteAddress.sin_family = AF_INET;								//Set the Address Family
	RemoteAddress.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(SERVER_ADDRESS);		//Set IP Address
	RemoteAddress.sin_port = SERVER_PORT;							//Set Port
}

Then a function to send packets to the Server's Address

void Application::Send_Packet(PLAYER* data)
{
	sendto(Socket, (char*)data, sizeof(PLAYER), 0, (sockaddr*)&RemoteAddress, sizeof(sockaddr));
}

The DirectX11 object has initialization  and rendered to the "Player.x/y/z" values in both applications.

Although the object does not appear on the Servers screen when a client connects and starts moving around, modifying the "Player.x/y/z" values with WASD keys, I can't figure out why

Edited by Xooch, 25 April 2013 - 07:09 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

FYI, the post editor on this website eats your posts. Sorry bro :(

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#3 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3986

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hey there,

I'm trying to create a server-client architecture application, which sends a struct called PLAYER which holds x,y,z as a float, the instance of PLAYER is Player. 

Defined like so

struct PLAYER
{
float x, y, z;
};
PLAYER Player;

don't know if you not posting anything else is due to what Cornstalks said, but if it isn't.....we're ganna need a bit more....

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#4 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Sorry I hit post by accident, then when I went to do edit my internet cut out. Resulting in this confusing

#5 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3986

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

what is your network setup? are you only sending to the loopback address, or are you trying to connect to another computer on your lan, or over the internet? have you checked firewalls?

you also arn't checking if bind has failed, or if you are getting any errors.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#6 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'm running both the applications on the local host, hence my SERVER_ADDRESS is 127.0.0.1

Fair point about the error checking, I will add that now and see what results I get.

EDIT: Definitely nothing wrong with the code, I've error checked it all. Either the Player.x/y/z isn't storing the values correct, I believe it is tho as I am able to edit their values with the movement keys so the PLAYER struct should update with it...

I will attempt to run one of my simpler networking application and see if it might be my firewall 

UPDATE: My other networking applications seem to work fine, using almost the exact same code.

Edited by Xooch, 25 April 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#7 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8762

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:02 AM

Can you post your updated code with the error checking? You are using threads, but not synchronisation, which is another problem.

#8 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

This is the updated functions to check for errors:

CLIENT

bool Application::Init_Winsock()
{
	bool r;

r = WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2), &Winsock);
	if(!r)
	{return false;}

if(LOBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2 || HIBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2)	//Check version
	{
		WSACleanup();	//Cleanup and return false if version is wrong
		return false;
	}

//Create Socket

//Input Receiver Information
	ZeroMemory(&RemoteAddress, sizeof(RemoteAddress));				//Clear Struct
	RemoteAddress.sin_family = AF_INET;								//Set the Address Family
	RemoteAddress.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr(SERVER_ADDRESS);		//Set IP Address
	RemoteAddress.sin_port = SERVER_PORT;							//Set Port

return true;
}

bool Application::Send_Packet(PLAYER* data)
{
	bool r;

r = sendto(Socket, (char*)data, sizeof(PLAYER), 0, (sockaddr*)&RemoteAddress, sizeof(sockaddr));
	if(!r)
	{return false;}

return true;
}

The client is sending the updated version of the Player Struct every frame, using the update function be called by the Win32 class.

bool Application::Update()
{
	bool r;

//Read user input
	r = m_Input->Update();
	if(!r)
	{return false;}

//Chcek for Escape
	if(m_Input->IsEscapePressed() == true)
	{return false;}

//Update System
	m_Timer->Update();

//Update Input
	r = HandleInput(m_Timer->GetTime());
	if(!r)
	{return false;}

//Update Networking
	Send_Packet(&Player);		//Send packets to server

//Render Graphics
	r = RenderGraphics();
	if(!r)
	{return false;}

return true;
}

SERVER

bool Application::Init_Winsock()
{
	bool r;

if(!r)
	{return false;}

if(LOBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2 || HIBYTE(Winsock.wVersion) !=2)	//Check Version
	{
		WSACleanup();	//Cleanup and end if not version 2
		return false;
	}

//Create Socket

//Input Reciever Information
	ZeroMemory(&RemoteAddress, sizeof(RemoteAddress));		//Clear Struct
	RemoteAddress.sin_family = AF_INET;						//Set the Family Address
	RemoteAddress.sin_port = SERVER_PORT;					//Set Port

r = bind(Socket, (sockaddr*)&RemoteAddress, sizeof(RemoteAddress));
	if(!r)
	{return false;}

//Start the recieve thread
	r = CreateThread(NULL, 0, RecvThread, (void*)this, 0, NULL);
	if(!r)
	{return false;}

return true;
}

DWORD WINAPI Application::RecvThread(LPVOID knock)
{
	bool r;

Application *instance = static_cast<Application *>(knock);

while(true)
	{
		PLAYER Recv;

r = recvfrom(instance->Socket, (char*)&Recv, sizeof(PLAYER), 0, (sockaddr*)&instance->RemoteAddress, &instance->SizeInt);
		if(!r)
		{return false;}

instance->Player = Recv;
	}
}

#9 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5723

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

sendto() may return a value < 0 if it fails. Testing "not" on the return value is not good enough for error checking.

sin_port argument should be passed through htons(). However, it turns out that, because you don't do this in either sender or receiver, they will both get the same result :-)

recvfrom() doesn't seem to check errors at all. You should.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#10 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

hmm, whats a better way of testing these functions then? Can you give me some sample code, if not too much trouble, please

#11 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

While debugging it this code returned false

if(!r)
	{return false;}

which would suggest the socket isnt being made and I have no idea why tho

Edited by Xooch, 26 April 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#12 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

Upon adding that error checking method to my other networking application using similar code, it also caused my server to no longer receive updates on the client's position, so I have removed that. Does anyone know why this isn't working, its really starting to bug me :/

#13 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3986

0Likes

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

While debugging it this code returned false

if(!r)
	{return false;}

which would suggest the socket isnt being made and I have no idea why tho

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms742213%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

why exactly did you think zero for that function means failure?

I'm looking over your code, and nothing terrible jumps out to me.  have you tried changing to tcp to make sure everything's setup correctly, then switch back to udp?

#14 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8762

2Likes

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Upon adding that error checking method to my other networking application using similar code, it also caused my server to no longer receive updates on the client's position, so I have removed that. Does anyone know why this isn't working, its really starting to bug me :/

Step 1: error checking. Step 2: error handling/logging. For example, the documentation for WSAStartup says:

Return value
If successful, the WSAStartup function returns zero. Otherwise, it returns one of the error codes listed below.
The WSAStartup function directly returns the extended error code in the return value for this function. A call to theWSAGetLastError function is not needed and should not be used.

<list of error codes omitted>

So WSAStartup is not returning false, it is returning its "success" value, which you are misinterpreting as failure. It is important to thoroughly read the documentation for the functions you are using about what kind of error codes can be returned.

You should at the very least write a log message somewhere when a fatal error occurs, and preferably provide a notification to the user rather than crashing to desktop. Most APIs have a way to get a human (or at least, geek) readable error description, which will help enormously in diagnosing such failures when they happen to a random user on the internet, who might want to play your game but might not be particularly technical.

A few things still need some work:

• You aren't checking for errors creating the socket in Application::Init_Winsock(). In addition, you only perform partial cleanup were something to go wrong in the middle of this function.

• Your recvfrom() call should check that the number of bytes received was (at least) the number that is expected. It might not be particularly likely, but you could collide with an existing port number, and another application may attempt to send a message to the port you are listening on (for UDP in particular, you can easily pick up broadcasted discovery messages on a local network).

• You still have not addressed the thread synchronisation problems in your code. A simple fix would be to ensure that all accesses to Application::Player are controlled by a Critical section. There are more sophisticated ways of handling this, particularly if your "Player" variable is currently being accessed all over the place.

• Your background thread's error handling isn't very useful. If a receive fails, you silently (i.e. without even printing a log message) return "false". Where does this return value go? Well, the operating system will store the return value, but your code does not appear to have anything listening for the thread unexpectedly dying.

A relatively simple alternative to multi-threading is to use "non-blocking" sockets. This means you can try to receive in your main loop without stalling the game logic until new data arrives. I would recommend this to someone who is still getting to grips with socket programming. Trying to learn and understand multi-threaded programming is significantly harder, and trying to do both at the same time is a recipe for confusion and error.

When you have your code working, you might also consider writing some code to detect and handle the case where the client or server dies or is shut down. Something as simple as checking if no messages have been received for a reasonable period of time, and then assuming the remote peer is "gone" and informing the user.

#15 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Can't you offer me some sample code, I don't understand fully what you mean

#16 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16413

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

We're not here to write your code for you ;-)

The advice offered in this thread should be ample to solve your problem. If you have specific areas you don't understand, please point them out directly. Just saying you don't understand is not useful, since we have no idea what you actually want explained in more detail.

#17 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'm unsure how to create these advance ways of error checking, I've put watches on the variables and they all seem to be taking in the expected values, still, there is no networking. I've used very very similar code before on another project, which was transferring only x,y values.

So all I've done is added a z value to the struct, and its not working 

#18 ApochPiQ   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16413

1Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

It's a very simple process, albeit work-intensive and tedious at times:
  • Find an API that you call that is not currently error-checked
  • Look up the documentation for that API to determine what it does (if anything!) to indicate failure
  • Write some simple checks (usually just if statements) to see if that failure happened at runtime
  • Decide on how to handle failures: throw an exception, display a runtime error message, etc.
  • Implement your chosen mechanism for failure-response
  • Repeat from the top
It's also worth noting that "it's not working" is not helpful to anyone. Describe what you expect to happen, what actually happens, and try and pinpoint where the two are not identical.

Edited by ApochPiQ, 30 April 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#19 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8762

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Which part didn't you understand?

#20 Xooch   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Which part didn't you understand?

How to code these error checks you speak of as mine isn't getting the job done

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS