Which language to start with?

Started by
8 comments, last by SimonForsman 10 years, 11 months ago

First off, I'm going to say that I know that this has been asked before, but I just wanted to have the seven billionth topic out there.

Second off, I have no experience and have heard good things about Java and Python. I know most people say that C++ is the best, but I don't feel comfortable getting that in-depth into it, and have actually made the mistake of trying to learn it first, and it burned me out. I am making this post after trying several times to get into C++ and failed miserably.

So... Basically what would be a halfway decent beginner program, and please don't post unless you think you can give a reasonable resource to learn it by, preferably an online one.

Thanks a ton!

Advertisement

If you read through those billion topics you mentioned, you'll find that this link will help you out a lot. That should explain everything better than I can. In short, it doesn't really matter what language you pick so long as you pick a language and start programming.

Going to be a troll here, I personally despise Java, go with Python if those are your only choices. But, as David suggests, follow the link, read it and then decide for yourself what you want to use. Really, ignore my comment, if you like Java, go for it. My opinion is based on the other side of the field where I am a C++/C# person and I despise Java for lack of explicit control, which is something you don't need to worry about yet. :)

Just want to say thanks. I actually found that link soon after I posted this topic, David.M so thanks a ton for the help. (I know it didn't technically help me, but if I hadn't looked that would have pointed me in the same direction that I took... so yeah.)

Also thanks, AllEightUp. I didn't much like Java either, more for the fact it seemed like it had even more complicated code than C++. I have decided to go for Python and need to go searching for resources. Thanks again, guys!

I know most people say that C++ is the best, but I don't feel comfortable getting that in-depth into it, and have actually made the mistake of trying to learn it first, and it burned me out. I am making this post after trying several times to get into C++ and failed miserably.

Can you tell us how you went about trying to learn C++ and why you failed?

Personally I started programming with C++ and didnt think it was especially hard. I took a single semester course at university (Intro to C++) and then went out and got a book (C++ How To Program) and just worked through that. Before starting C++ I'd only had some experience with Fortran, which is to say not much that was applicable. =)

I'm not saying that C++ is right for you, it's not for everyone. But, you obviously wanted to learn it at some point, and there must be a reason for that. We can help you with better advice if we know why it didnt work out.

I first learned C++, i'd be lying if i said it was a cake walk, but it's not impossibe. I then learned Python and after months of using C++ i was amazed at how simple Python is in comparison. Sure it's not as powerful or as fast, but who the hell needs speed and power when you first start programming.

I first learned C++, i'd be lying if i said it was a cake walk, but it's not impossibe. I then learned Python and after months of using C++ i was amazed at how simple Python is in comparison. Sure it's not as powerful or as fast, but who the hell needs speed and power when you first start programming.

Just curious - why did you learn Python after C++?

Partly i just wanted to try a different language, and partly so I could get straight to pogramming game logic without having to deal with lower level stuff. I read about Pygame and thought i'd give it a shot, its great for knocking out simple games quickly and trying ideas. The only thing is i much prefer C++, i've started using SFML which is in the same vein.

Going to be a troll here, I personally despise Java, go with Python if those are your only choices. But, as David suggests, follow the link, read it and then decide for yourself what you want to use. Really, ignore my comment, if you like Java, go for it. My opinion is based on the other side of the field where I am a C++/C# person and I despise Java for lack of explicit control, which is something you don't need to worry about yet. smile.png

This man is right. Actually you don't have to use Java language to gain the benefits of Java platform. You may want to check these :

http://jruby.org/

http://groovy.codehaus.org/

http://www.scala-lang.org/

Well, for the on-topic answer, try Python. Find the tutorial here :

http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

It's a good tutorial and easy to follow. Don't be afraid of the "hard way" title. It doesn't mean that the tutorial is hard. Actually it's pretty easy, even for people who are totally new to programming.

As David said, pick any language and actually start coding.

I did the same, C++ was my third/fourth language and python was .. 13th? 14th ? (hard to keep track)

Saying that Python isn't as powerful as C++ is a bit misleading, in some ways python is far more powerful than C++, in other ways its not. (it depends on how you define powerful and what kind of power you need for a specific task)

You don't progress from one language to another, you only add more languages to your toolbox and as you become more experienced you will switch between them depending on the task (and in some cases use several languages for a single project)

Python is a language that is extremely good to have in your toolbox, even if you know <insert language here> python is worth learning.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement