• Create Account

opengl compute shaders

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yours3!f   Members   -  Reputation: 1252

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

Hi,

I'm trying out the OpenGL compute shader functionality using the new Catalyst 13.4 driver from AMD.

However when I execute the compute shader the driver restarts.

I used this example as a basis: http://wili.cc/blog/opengl-cs.html

here's the project:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B33Sh832pOdOaWFlVS00N040bFE/edit?usp=sharing

any idea what may be wrong?

Best regards,

Yours3!f

Edited by Yours3!f, 28 April 2013 - 05:53 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Xycaleth   Members   -  Reputation: 928

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:40 AM

I'm also having the same problems. I downloaded the source code from the same website and tried running it (along with a few changes to make it run on Windows) but the driver just restarts. If I don't run the compute shader, then it runs without crashing. Using an AMD graphics card as well.

#3 Yours3!f   Members   -  Reputation: 1252

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

well, we should ask AMD for a working proof example app, that the driver can really run compute shaders :D

Just to be clear, you can't create a GL 4.3 context, right? (I can't)

#4 Xycaleth   Members   -  Reputation: 928

1Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

No, I can't create a 4.3 context :(

#5 japro   Members   -  Reputation: 887

1Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

I'm too lazy to actually boot my laptop into windows and install that driver and install dev tools atm. But if anyone wants to try another example here is one: https://github.com/progschj/OpenGL-Examples/blob/master/13compute_shader_nbody.cpp It works fine on my nvidia desktop. It should work when changing it to use the ARB extension instead of the 4.3 context on amd I guess,

Edited by japro, 30 April 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#6 Xycaleth   Members   -  Reputation: 928

1Likes

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Your example seems to work fine, japro smile.png I had to hard code the size of the shared 'tmp' variable though because the compiler expects a constant value as the array size. What sort of frame times do you get? I'm getting around 600ms/frame on an AMD 6870. It also makes me wonder what the other example is doing to cause it to crash...

EDIT: Okay, turned on the tiling and it renders at 30ms/frame :P

Edited by Xycaleth, 01 May 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#7 japro   Members   -  Reputation: 887

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Your example seems to work fine, japro smile.png I had to hard code the size of the shared 'tmp' variable though because the compiler expects a constant value as the array size.

Interesting, that was also the case for the early Nvidia beta driver. At least the 4.3 spec says that gl_WorkGroupSize is a constant exactly because you probably want to use it as a array size. On my Nvidia GTX560TI this runs with 18ms/frame non tiled and 12ms/frame with the tiled shader.

#8 Yours3!f   Members   -  Reputation: 1252

0Likes

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

hey there,

sorry for the late reply.

Japro, what you are doing is a bit different. You are reading/writing to a Texture Buffer Object.
What I'm trying to do is write to a Plain Old Texture. I suspect AMD has problems with this, as I had similar problems with writing/reading textures when I did this with OGL/OCL interoperation. While they have fixed those problems by now, I suspect they still have them with the OGL CS implementation.

Anyways putting a glFinish() after the glDispatchCompute(...) seems to solve the crashing, but I still don't get anything on screen. So I suspect this may be a syncronization problem on either my side, or on AMD's side.

best regards,

Yours3lf

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS