• Create Account

Who are your developer heros?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic

#1 Happygamer   Members   -  Reputation: 146

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

Everyone that is in the know has someone they admire, right? Who is your game developer hero(s)?

Sponsor:

#2 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

I don't have a game dev hero but I am practically in love with Microsoft, C#, SQL Server, Win Server, VS, Office, .NET, MS Maths, MS Visio, MS Project, IE10 (yeh that's right IE made the list), DirectX etc etc.

Im like a code junky and MS just keep giving me all these technologies to get high on.

#3 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6974

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

For game stuff, John Carmack, of course.

For video stuff, Michael Neidermayer.

For just being awesome (and compiler stuff), Matt Might.
[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#4 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2913

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

Carmack for open sourcing some of the games that used to rule my teenage world, Sakaguchi for the story behind why FF was created, also several people on GD for being awesome and helping people learn and grow.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#5 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1580

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

I suppose once upon a time it was John Carmack but, after working in the games industry I have come to admire anybody who makes games for a living.  Wheather it is a one man indie to a huge 200+ team.   There are coders out there who you have never heard of who can code circles around John Carmack and also people who suck at coding and math but still manage to dig deep and struggle through to make great games because they have a vision.

So if you code games give yourself a pat on the back.

#6 ranakor   Members   -  Reputation: 439

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

Eric Lippert

#7 Sparkon   Members   -  Reputation: 371

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

I'd say Michael Morhaime Blizzard's co-founder and Carmack ofc. But as Buster2000 said, not for their programming's skill, instead for what they created!.

#8 Glass_Knife   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3778

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

Kent Beck for Testing stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Beck

Jim Blinn for Graphics Stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Blinn

John Carmack for Doom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Carmack

Jonathan Blow for proving an indie guy can make it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Blow

This talk was something else that made me interested: http://the-witness.net/news/2011/06/how-to-program-independent-games/

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
Indie Game Programming

#9 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1132

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Jonathan Blow for braid, and John Carmack for Doom, Quake engine, and of course without quake engine there would be no gold source engine, and no half-life and counter-strike as it is today, no source engine, no team fortress 2 and so on :)

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

#10 tstrimple   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1718

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

In one sense John Skeet. He has a depth of knowledge on C# and Java that is amazing. On the other end of the scale Bill Gates, because he successfully made it out of the programmer rat race with his skills and knowledge. 

#11 polyfrag   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1792

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

John Carmack, Gabe Newell, Minh "gooseman" Le

For continuing the great trilogy

#12 Shaquil   Members   -  Reputation: 815

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

I don't really have any developer heroes, but there are people who inspire me to program indirectly:

1. Steve Jobs

2. Neil DeGrasse Tyson

3. Holly Griffith

4. Bill Gates

5. Hopsin

6. Hearts Grow (a band)

None of them are programmers, but their work inspires me, and they they remind that there's nothing better than waking up every day and expressing yourself as an artist through a medium you truly love. Sometimes when I go a while without writing code, I forget how beautiful programming really is. These guys remind me that as long as I stick with doing this thing that I love, I'll be able to find that beauty over and over.

#13 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2219

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Gabe Newell, not for code, but because he understands the development process.

Every time I hear him talk, I am awe struck at how he thinks about how to get the most out of his talent pool.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#14 Wavarian   Members   -  Reputation: 705

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

SiCrane.

The dude just knows everything >.<

#15 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3951

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:24 AM

No one. Sooner or later I find out something I dislike a lot about every "developer hero" (Carmack wen't down once I read certain comments/tweets, Linus is about Open Source but not about "free as in freedom", Stallman its kinda nutty, and so on).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

#16 HappyCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 2359

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

SiCrane.

The dude just knows everything >.<

SiCra... Dang, beat me to it

Edited by HappyCoder, 30 April 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#17 Rakso   Members   -  Reputation: 120

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

After watching Indie the movie i found Tommy Refenes to be one of the persons i look up too, 

And Jonathan Blow for the awesome Braid.

#18 way2lazy2care   Members   -  Reputation: 782

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Gabe Newell, not for code, but because he understands the development process.

Every time I hear him talk, I am awe struck at how he thinks about how to get the most out of his talent pool.

Do you have any relevant interviews? I'm interested to hear some. I haven't heard him talk very much :/

I'd say John Carmack for 2 reasons, 1. he still writes code and inovates despite technically being able to just sit back and let someone else do it for him. 2. He has a significant impact outside his original domain with his work buildin dem rockets, which I think is just awesome.

#19 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 488

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

What? After all these reply no Andre LaMothe?

Other than the names already mentioned, my first hero was Andre LaMothe. My first game programming books is Secret of the Game Programming Guru (DOS). Or was it Tricks?

The fact that he is ex-NASA is a bonus point. And when I first know internet (when it was new) and managed to get in contact with him, it was awesome.

Too bad he wasn't as active in his forum as in those early days.

I don't know if it has something to do with how many people (fans?) give him promises as he fight Hasbro, but not much people follow suit, even in tiny contribution.

I wonder what will happen if there is kickstarter back then. Andre would have win.

Sony/Bleem/ and the other emulator tells that even if you are right, you can still lose. Sigh.

Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

#20 FableFox   Members   -  Reputation: 488

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

Oh, and Ken Silverman.

I play his early demo game, and to realize his age, it was like, awesome!

Ken Labyrinth might look like 'programmers art' but that is the engine for future Duke Nukem 3D!

Fable Fox is Stronger <--- Fable Fox is Stronger Project

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS