Game Design Degree

Started by
9 comments, last by noir2099 10 years, 11 months ago
I am actually looking to go back to college and get my degree. I was just wondering, if anybody here had any insight as to whether a Game Design degree would be worth obtaining.
Advertisement

Worth obtaining in what sense? To get a job or get better at game design?

I graduated with a design degree and I landed a job from my end of year show. It's really really rare though, in all honesty I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to start your own indie company after you graduate, or if you are talented in art or code as well.

The degree I took was amazing, it opened my eyes and designing comes easily to me now.

Artist and game designer.

Portfolio: http://www.lapinsh.com/

PM me if you need art or design and are serious about completing your project.

You can't take the sky from me.

Thanks for the info. Yes I want a career change. At the moment Game Design sounds very intriguing. However, i am very interested in programming too, but the school I am currently looking at doesn't offer a good programming degree at least not online.

I want a career change.

From what?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Currently i work in wireless sales and support.

looking to go back to college and get my degree. I was just wondering, if anybody here had any insight as to whether a Game Design degree would be worth obtaining.

... the school I am currently looking at doesn't offer a good programming degree at least not online

So, you dropped out the first time, and never finished your degree.

A "game design" degree can have value, yes. But is that the right degree for you, and can you afford it? Why did you choose that degree and that school? Oh, wait. I get it. You're talking about an ONLINE game design degree.

Why? Why online, why that degree? What's your thinking? Have you read this forum's FAQs? (Your post was moved from Game Design to the Breaking In forum, since you asked about degrees.)

Yes i dropped.out of school several years ago. It has taken me a long while to get at least some things straightened out. However, i still have a long road ahead. I am at this moment the sole provider at my home, which is with my parents. Since neither of them can find work. I am just burnt out on my current job, but i cannot afford to quit and go back to school.

I apologize for posting in the wrong section. I have spent little time off and on studying different parts of game development, truthfully i would like the opportunity to learn more programming. I may have started too late though.

I am approaching 30 and I just want to do something more. Yes, I have played video games most of my life. I know that it is a hard business to get into. I am just ready to spend the next couple of years and focus on improving myself, for a future that i want. I am not sure what that future is yet. My biggest fear right now though is deciding to go back to school, complete my program and get my degree just to find out I wasted my time. Not in the sense of not learning anything, because when i start this time I am putting my heart and soul in the program. However, I do not want to spend the time get the degree, and find out after I graduate, that no companies will recognize my degree or what I did.

As it stands, with my current life situation, i do qualify for a good financial aid package. I should be able to afford school.

I appreciate the information. You all are a big help.

I do not want to spend the time get the degree, and find out after I graduate, that no companies will recognize my degree or what I did.

At your age, no degree is going to factor into a hiring decision a great deal. Do not go to online school to "get a degree."

Focus instead on learning how to do the job you want to do. Then do the job you want to do, and prove you can do it by having a body of work to show.

At your age, a portfolio is much more important than a degree. Have you read this forum's FAQs yet? For the most part, the FAQs message is aimed at high schoolers and college-age aspirants, but a lot of the concepts are applicable to you as well.

I am reading over the FAQ now. Will probably spend a good while in there. There is a lot of useful information.

One other question. I agree the portfolio would be a much greater area for me to focus now in life. However, what if I prepare my portfolio while I pursue the degree?

what if I prepare my portfolio while I pursue the degree?

What if. What kind of question is that? Nobody can foretell the future. It's unclear what you're asking. So I have to guess.

I only said that the degree is not a necessity for hirers to notice you, since you are 30 and already have a working background. I never said an online degree would look bad on your resume. I said that your focus needs to be on portfolio-building, not getting a piece of paper. Ask yourself: Will the degree help you make a portfolio?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement