• Create Account

Nintendo 3DS Programming?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spudster   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

Hey,

With in A few years Once I get myself A PC I'm looking into Programming Nintendo 3ds games. From what I have read up they don't have A certain program language so would anyone know what Nintendogs & Animal Crossing would use?

I currently know a lot about web development and Some Android programming with Java.

Thanks,

Spudster

Sponsor:

#2 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2133

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Pretty much all 3DS games would use C/C++.

Nintendo tend to be quite closed with their platforms and only approve 'proper' studios for developing on their hardware (i.e. no bedroom coders) so you may have some difficulty achieving your goal, but who knows, maybe they'll have opened up a little within a few years. Alternatively if the NDS was anything to go by, there might be a homebrew community I suppose, but you won't get a game published going that route and the legality can be somewhat muddy.

#3 Spudster   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

I thought C++/C would be the language used.

As for publishing the game It may take A few years before I even get to publishing the game and getting companies to assign it etc..

I'm wondering if it would be possible to locally work on projects on A private 3DS machine Don't know how they would work there.

#4 DekuTree64   Members   -  Reputation: 953

1Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

There's tons of info and tools available for GBA and DS homebrew, which is a lot of fun and very educational, although the community seems to have fizzled out for the most part so it's not quite as much fun as it once was. But as far as I've seen, no one has cracked the 3DS yet. I'm not sure if it's just a lack of effort, or if Nintendo has finally perfected their anti-piracy techniques, but by now it's looking pretty hopeless. Shame, because I'd love to do some stereoscopic 3D stuff.

#5 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 19040

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm looking into Programming Nintendo 3ds games.

There is currently no homebrew on 3DS.  They have invested heavily in locking down the platform and requiring everything to be encrypted.  Last I checked, the homebrew hackers have been unable to access any 3DS hardware.  (They have had success in playing older DS homebrew, but nothing 3DS specific.)

If you want to develop on the platform, you must get a job at a studio that develops for it.

From what I have read up they don't have A certain program language so would anyone know what Nintendogs & Animal Crossing would use?

The primary language for the platform is C++.  Some studios rely on C.   Most games also have additional scripting languages used internally for the game and the tools.

Because Nintendogs was first a DS title, my guess is that they ported an older engine written in C and likely mixed it with newer libraries written in C++.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#6 tisdadd   Members   -  Reputation: 313

0Likes

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Supposedly (and I emphasize supposedly) by end of this year a hack that has (once again, supposedly) been found will be released... I would actually recommend looking into either the PS3, WII, or DS homebrew scene if you are going to do anything.... they have been around for a few years, and as such there are large amounts of resources available.

Otherwise, your best bet, as has been said, is getting into a studio or buying your own dev kit if you can get Nintendo to sell you one.

Of course, you could simply develop for the computer, and then port it over as the resources become available to you.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS