• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

SDL linking

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ebrithil   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Ok so I've been doing research and can't seem to find the correct answer to my problem. I am a linux(Arch) user, and am trying to compile programs that run on Windows. I realize this is a lengthy discussion topic of its own. However I had a method that was working well for me using mingw.

compile line:

/usr/bin/i486-mingw32-g++ -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -L . test.cpp -o test.exe

Now my problem is I've just started learning to use SDL. I can link and compile it for linux just fine using:

g++ -Wall test.cpp -o test -lSDL

When I try to compile for windows I get a fatal error: SDL/SDL.h: no such file or directory. I know this is a linking problem, So I've tried:

/usr/bin/i486-mingw32-g++ -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -L . test.cpp -o test.exe -lSDL

and

/usr/bin/i486-mingw32-g++ -static -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -L . test.cpp -o test.exe

However neither work. I've not had much luck with search results and I've also heard if I compile it staticlly I may run into issues with LGPL. If anyone could shed some light on this problem I'd be greatly appreciative.

Edited by Ebrithil, 30 April 2013 - 01:34 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Ebrithil   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Ok so I have got it to compile with no errors using:

/usr/bin/i486-mingw32-g++ -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -L . test.cpp -o test.exe -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -mwindows

It still wont run on Windows however I get a SDL.dll not found error. So I guess I just have to make it static now?

#3 Wooh   Members   -  Reputation: 652

1Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Put the SDL.dll file in the same directory as the executable file. That's how I have seen most people doing.

#4 Sik_the_hedgehog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1833

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Erm dude, if you get an error with SDL/SDL.h that means the header files aren't in the include directory. The linker has nothing to do with it =P Are you sure the headers are installed?

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

#5 rip-off   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8685

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

How/where did you "install" SDL?

Note that SDL itself recommends:

Do I #include <SDL.h> or <SDL/SDL.h>?

The most portable way to include SDL headers is to use quotes around the header name:

#include "SDL.h"

You may have to configure your compiler to know to search the directory where the SDL headers are installed. On Linux, this is easy, just use `sdl-config --cflags` as part of your command line. Mingw may have a similar utility program, worth looking into.

Edited by rip-off, 30 April 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#6 Ebrithil   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

I have no problem with linux what so ever. You install SDL by unpacking the tarball and running make (depending on what your distro is). My linker issue that I was having was that it just wasn't looking in the right directory and I have that covered. I just need to figure out how to run the program on a windows computer that dosen't have SDL. That means I need to either include it with the file or make it statically linked.

#7 Ebrithil   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Put the SDL.dll file in the same directory as the executable file. That's how I have seen most people doing.

This seems to be the best method. Thanks.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS