• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Why trailers are necessary.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

GTA V trailer.

And this is probably the most impressive trailer I've seen in quite some time. It's actually movie quality. The characters are authentic. Everything just comes together so nicely. I almost wish this was a movie and not a game.

So which trailers from movies or games have impressed you?

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1587

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Vinewood! Looks like the setting will be San Andreas then.

#3 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1134

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

No shit, you could see vinewood sign even in the trailer which was released more than a year ago...lol

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

#4 ultramailman   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1587

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

No shit, you could see vinewood sign even in the trailer which was released more than a year ago...lol

This trailer is the first time I've heard of GTA5.

#5 _greyfox()   Members   -  Reputation: 1134

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Holy crap dude, get with the times :)

Anyways, I hate that they are only going to release it for PS3 and XBOX 360.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”― Nigel Marsh

#6 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3684

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Holy crap dude, get with the times smile.png

I haven't been following it, but I've vaguely surprised they aren't waiting for next gen consoles.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#7 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

Well that also means that a WiiU version has a higher likelihood to be released as well.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#8 alnite   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2133

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

#9 Anri   Members   -  Reputation: 597

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

To be honest, I get sick of this game along with Call of Duty.  Its not so much having a beef with the game itself but the marketing hype for them.

For crying out loud, they've had big displays in game shops for GTA5 since January...and its not even released until September. Then you get all this "pre-order! pre-order!" bullshit that goes with it.  Its almost as bad as trying to hype up Christmas Trees for next Christmas on the 26th of December.  And what do you get in that time? A sodding poster.

And why would anyone want to pre-order a game anyway?  At worst it only sells out for two weeks from the release date. Maximum. Sigh...you kids today...

But anyway, getting out of my grumpy'old'sod shoes...GTA5 looks all right.

#10 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3987

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

And why would anyone want to pre-order a game anyway?  At worst it only sells out for two weeks from the release date. Maximum. Sigh...you kids today...

pre-ordering is a good way to spread out the cost of the game.

other than the recent pre-order bonus bandwagon games have been using lately, it is pretty much pointless.  (for example their are atleast 6 places that are within 5-10 mins away from me that all stock new games on day one.  and some more just minutes further out).

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#11 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2506

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

What is this "sell out" of which you speak? Are you referring to some arcane method of distributing software as encoded dots on plastic? Dude, last century called.... they want their outdated distribution model back. :D

I kid, I kid! But seriously, I do kinda laugh at the concept of buying software on physical media any more. I haven't bought a single game from a shop in nearly 7 years. And I live in NZ, internet is not that flash here!

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#12 RivieraKid   Members   -  Reputation: 375

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

San Andreas was king, IV was terrible - just a tech demo imo. Since this is set in San Andreas and has the awesome voice acting back and expansive outdoors I'm back on the band wagon baby!

#13 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Damn it, man! If it's not one damn good trailer it's another!

Spoiler

#14 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7671

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's actually movie quality. The characters are authentic. Everything just comes together so nicely. I almost wish this was a movie and not a game.

And that is precisely the least impressive part about it. It will probably be a perfectly decent game, all told, but that's because there's a good sense of what GTA is about and how it plays. If this were new IP, I'd be extremely dubious. Games are not movies and this obsession that some of them have with being movies is not a good thing.

That said, a trailer isn't a game either, and it's not clear to me whether a trailer should emphasize the gameplay or the cinematic aspects of a game like this. Again, it's not like people don't generally know what GTA is about. Arguably there's very little point in highlighting gameplay, and since the cutscenes are in-engine that's a plus.

Edited by Promit, 27 June 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#15 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4692

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Games are not movies and this obsession that some of them have with being movies is not a good thing.

I think the obsession with wanting a game to be seen as art just as a movie is is the actual obsession.

Spoiler

#16 siri   Members   -  Reputation: 233

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

How about worst ?

I loved that game as a teen but the trailer makes it look awful -- it probably would be awful if I played it now.

Edited by siri, 27 June 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#17 TheChubu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4793

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

It's actually movie quality. The characters are authentic. Everything just comes together so nicely. I almost wish this was a movie and not a game.

And that is precisely the least impressive part about it. It will probably be a perfectly decent game, all told, but that's because there's a good sense of what GTA is about and how it plays. If this were new IP, I'd be extremely dubious. Games are not movies and this obsession that some of them have with being movies is not a good thing.

That said, a trailer isn't a game either, and it's not clear to me whether a trailer should emphasize the gameplay or the cinematic aspects of a game like this. Again, it's not like people don't generally know what GTA is about. Arguably there's very little point in highlighting gameplay, and since the cutscenes are in-engine that's a plus.

I'd say that Rockstar leaves out gameplay in trailers not only because we know what GTA is all about but also because they want a bigger "oomph" when players play it the first time. They know more or less what to expect, but by just omitting gameplay from trailers, I think it will get people more impressed the first time they play it. I like it that way.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS