• Create Account

Best tools to make a Tabletop like game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 kolpo2   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

I would like to make a table top like computer game loosely based on games like d&d and pathfinder. The game world itself would consist of 2 layers,

1) A 2d battle grid layer in which each grid is linked with a certain image like a part of a road or a patch of grass.

2) On top of that is the interaction layer with monster, player and item tokens that might be done in 3d(with isometric view)

This game shall be data heavy but very easy on the CPU. All monster, player, battle grid map data would need to be stored. I was thinking of using a database for that.

I'm good with vb.net, average with java and know a little C#

Unity might be easy for the graphic side of this but it doesn't have any database support. The database stuff is very easy to do with vb.net but that graphics part not so much. What would you recommend?

Sponsor:

#2 AllEightUp   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4120

1Likes

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Unity might be easy for the graphic side of this but it doesn't have any database support. The database stuff is very easy to do with vb.net but that graphics part not so much. What would you recommend?

Plugging SQLite into Unity is fairly easy.  If you search the forum's you can find various links to possible solutions.  There are also a number of DB plugins on the Asset store you can use which are probably easier to deal with than doing it yourself, though most of them cost a bit of money last I looked.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS