• Create Account

When to start learning SFML

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 stein102   Members   -  Reputation: 475

0Likes

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'm a java programmer, transitioning into C++ and I've read a few basic tutorials on C++ and have the basic Syntax down. My question is, would it be a good idea to start learning SFML now, and learn other topics on my way as I need them? Or should I keep working on the C++ standard and just stick with that?

If possible, can I get a list of the bare minimum C++ concepts needed to start game development?

Thanks

Sponsor:

#2 Khatharr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2937

1Likes

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Just pick it up when you decide to start using it. It's only an engine, not a language.

I'd recommend getting comfy with STL first if you're worried about your C++. Architectural patterns are the same, regardless of language, but there's bureaucracy in C++ that rivals that in Java, so be prepared for that when you start posting for code reviews.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS