• Create Account

I want to make Flash games, where should I start?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Icarius_24   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hello! :)

I want to make a Flash game and get a nice sponsorship deal with it. But I have a few problems:

• I don't have enough money to buy Adobe Flash.
  • I can use Stencyl, which is a free game creation tool ...
  • ... but its not suited if I want to get a nice sponsorship deal.
  • I know nothing about ActionScript

So, I was hoping, that you guys could help me. Please recommend some ebooks/tutorials that teaches the very basics of making a Flash game (without having to use Adobe Flash).

One more thing, when I say I know nothing about ActionScript ... I really mean NOTHING! xD

I'm a clueless newbie :D

~ Icarius :)

Zeta Games <-- visit my blog

Super Smiley Adventure <-- my first game (download)

Blu <-- my upcoming platform game (download WIP)

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17779

1Likes

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

FlashDevelop is a free alternative to the Flash development environment.

What makes you think Stencyl isn't suitable for your purposes?  You'd probably want the pro version so you didn't need a watermark or splash-screen included, but at only $79/year it's very affordable, and you could develop your game using the free version before upgrading.

#3 Tchom   Members   -  Reputation: 193

0Likes

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

As for learning Actionscript 3, I recommend Lee Brimelow's site http://www.gotoandlearn.com/. You might have to go back a fair way to get to his basics of Actionscript tutorials. After that, you want to find a copy of Keith Peters' books "Actionscript 3.0 Animation" and "AdvancED Actionscript 3.0:. Don't be put of by the names: they are not about frame-by-frame timeline animation - they are about programmatic graphics simulations and cover a very diverse range of topics such as basic physics, kinematics, pathfinding, isometric projection and heaps more. These books are gems and I can't recommend them enough.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS