• Create Account

validating JTextField data from result set

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Darego   Members   -  Reputation: 156

0Likes

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

hi guys,

I am trying to setup a login system where when a user enters his username and password and presses the login button, his username and password are sent in an SQL statements to be matched with a User in the database. if the username and password are correct(if they are matched in the database) a User object is created with all of the users data from the database and the user is brought to the Admin Dashboard

After doing a lot of research on Result sets etc and going through a lot of code, I still can not make it work in my system. Can anyone show me a good way to do this? Or tell me if there is something obvious wrong with this code?

At the moment when I enter in a username and password and press login I get an error in the console:

java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column index at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.setStringInternal(OraclePreparedStatement.java:5321) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.setString(OraclePreparedStatement.java:5309) at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.setString(OraclePreparedStatementWrapper.java:280) at database.UserOperations.validateLog(UserOperations.java:45) at gui.Login$2.mouseClicked(Login.java:77)

some of the gui code

JButton btnLogin = new JButton("Login");
    btnLogin.addMouseListener(new MouseAdapter() {
        public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent e) {

UserOperations userOperations = new UserOperations();

ResultSet rset = userOperations.validateLog(textFieldUsername.getText(), textFieldPassword.getText());
            User user = null;
            try {
                if (rset.next()) {
                    user = new User(rset.getInt("userID"), rset.getString("userName"), rset.getString("userPassword"), rset.getString("securityQuestion"), rset.getString("securityAnswer"),
                        rset.getInt("adminRights"), rset.getString("email"), rset.getString("fName"), rset.getString("phoneNumber"), rset.getString("department"));

dispose();
                    AdminDashboard admin = new AdminDashboard();
                    admin.setVisible(true);

}
                else{

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Login fail!", "Error", JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE);
                }
            } catch (SQLException e2) {
                e2.printStackTrace();
            }

}
    });

validateLogin() method

public ResultSet validateLog(String username, String userpassword)
{
    try {
        String sql = "SELECT userid, username, userpassword, securityquestion, securityanswer, adminrights, email, fname, phonenumber, department FROM systeuser WHERE username = ? AND userpassword = ?";

stmt = conn.prepareStatement(sql);
        stmt.setString (2, username);
        stmt.setString (3, userpassword);
        rset = stmt.executeQuery ( );

}
    catch(Exception e){
        e.printStackTrace ( );
        JOptionPane.showMessageDialog (null, "Login Failed", null, JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE);
    }
    return rset;

}

any help is greatly appreciated 

Edited by Darego, 05 May 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 Angex   Members   -  Reputation: 884

0Likes

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

In the validateLog() method, the prepared statement only has 2 placeholders, but you're supplying data to indices 2 & 3.

The index for placeholders starts from 1 smile.png

Edited by Angex, 05 May 2013 - 01:19 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS