• Create Account

Better Debugging Tools; C++/MinGW/Dwarf

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rhetorician   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

Does anyone know of good debugging tools, specifically with a convenient and powerful GUI, to use with executables produced by MinGW from C++ (I think in the DWARF format) ?

Thanks !

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

lol

I am a gravitas monster.

Edited by Reflexus, 05 May 2013 - 08:59 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2764

2Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Eclipse CDT supports GDB, and there should be an appropriate GDB in your Dwarf-flavoured Mingw compiler.

Produci, consuma, crepa

#3 Rhetorician   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yeah. Thanks I guess. I was using Code::Blocks for 2 years, and I've just gone back to Visual Studio.

#4 Rhetorician   Members   -  Reputation: 119

1Likes

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

Bump:

Tips

• In Visual Studio, you can double click a watch expression to modify it and append ",n" to view n elements of an array.
  • Integrate auxiliary debugging utility (like console output or log files) into your program in a way that may be completely disabled by some method of configuration.

#5 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8279

0Likes

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

If you're using Visual Studio anyway, is there any reason to not use the native compiler/debugger?  The debugger in particular is by far the best there is, so it should be worth at least evaluating that option.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#6 Rhetorician   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

What? Visual Studio's debugger is the best there is? That's quite a claim. I should have updated this topic sooner:

https://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/

:P

#7 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21030

1Likes

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Did you get that working successfully with MinGW? I've been trying to find a decent MinGW debugger for Windows. QtCreator's embedded GDB doesn't always cut it for me.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#8 Rhetorician   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

It's Linux only. sad.png

#9 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1469

1Likes

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Perhaps this will help; while many of these (as the title suggests) are for Linux, some are actually cross-platform (including Windows):

http://www.drdobbs.com/testing/13-linux-debuggers-for-c-reviewed/240156817

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS