• Create Account

one file of effects question

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 lomateron   Members   -  Reputation: 329

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

I have 60 techniques in one .fx file can this cause any problems related to performance?

Sponsor:

#2 Yourself   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1116

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

normally no it doesn't impact performance at all (the shader compiler is very good in eliminating unused code/resources), but you will only be 100% sure if  you profile it

#3 Juliean   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 2437

0Likes

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

You shouldn't be worried about performance here, you should rather worry about like how hard it will get to work with these. Word of advice, in my first 3d project I used to have all thats possible in one shader file too, it was mess and extremly aweful to work with after a while. You gotta ask yourself, are these techniques all related to each other? Like different lighting models, etc... ? If not, I'd strongly advice you to split it up. You'll possible save loading time too, since you only have to compile those effects you really need.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS